Cornwall Hotel, 35-39 Cameron Street, Launceston: One of Launceston's oldest buildings, parts of the rear quarters are original and date from 1823. It was in this hotel that John Pascoe Fawkner held a meeting to plan the settlement of Melbourne. Later improvements saw the addition of the two storey brick and render Edwardian (Federation) Freestyle facade having large circular motif windows to the first floor and an ornate Art Nouveau facade parapet. The rear section of the hotel is an early Georgian brick structure with hipped roof and close eaves. One window which is visible has rubbed brick lintel and glazing bars (24 panes).
153-155 George Street, Launceston: An imposing and unique pair of conjoined townhouses (now one residence) of Regency style built around 1837. A feature is its fine French windows on the upper level and the continuous balcony with cast iron balustrading. The building's roof is hipped with close eaves and plain stuccoed corbelled chimneys. Each house frontage is of three bays. The lower level has verandah with wooden balustrade and iron brackets. Front doors are four panelled, with moulded surrounds and Regency transom lights. Front windows are twelve paned, side windows are 24 paned. Stuccoed facade has simple pilasters and frieze.
1891 - Albert Hall, 45 Tamar Street, Cnr Cimitiere Street, Launceston: An exhibition building in the high Victorian Classical style, erected as the main structure for the Tasmanian international exhibition, 25th November 1891 - 22nd March 1892. The two levelled hall has a hipped roof and moulded parapet and cornice with ball finials and corresponding miniature pediments. The upper level is plain stucco divided into bays by Corinthian pilasters. Windows have continuous elaborate sills, flanking Corinthian pilasters and entablatures and pediments over. Piers and pilasters in lower level are rusticated, windows have arched tops. Hall has large pediments at roof level above main entrance. The Albert Hall was built by J.T. Farmils, to a design by John Duncan. The hall contains an organ manufactured by an English firm, Charles Brindley, circa 1859. It has been used for exhibitions, balls, concerts, religious and political rallies, sporting events, and disaster relief during the 1929 flood.
St John's Anglican Church
1835-1938 - St John's Anglican Church, St John Street, Launceston: A remarkable eclectic structure of unfinished design, consisting of a large cruciform parish church of brick, sandstone and concrete, built in three main stages. The oldest section (1825) by David Lambe is a naive adaptation of Georgian Decorated Gothic. The later structure (1901-11 and 1938) chancel transepts and crossing, is a unique mixture of Byzantine and Gothic elements featuring a dominant round window with chacery. The nave (1938) is neo-Gothic with Art Nouveau decoration.
Launceston Post Office
1889 - Launceston Post Office, 68 Cameron Street, Launceston: Built as the main post office for Launceston, it has fulfilled this role over a lengthy period, being the central point in the city for a wide range of services which have evolved over the decades. A fine example of Federation Queen Anne style, the two storey building's use of red brick and freestone, impressive street facades, internal quadrangle with galleries, decorative stone carving, fine leadlight work, pediments, corner tower, cupolas, and a wide range of other decorative features all contribute to its significance. It has a central chamber in the form of a quadrangle with an octagonal glass roof. Other decorative features include carved freestone panels and dressings.
Esk View Terrace
Esk View Terrace, 111-123 Cameron Street, Launceston: A splendid row of two storey high Victorian terraces with iron balconies, colonnades, projecting end and central bays and three storey corner tower. Intermediate houses are set back behind verandahs with cast-iron balustrades and valences. The west end of the terrace is more elaborate, with tiled conical tower roof with tiny dormers and bracketed eaves. Dormer windows (impedimented) to attics in roofs pace, at parapet level. Upper level windows have bracketed pediments over while lower level windows have square tops in contrast to otherwise arched topped ones. The street frontage has a fine iron fence with gates. Esk View Terrace, together with the neighbouring Middlesex Terrace produces one of the finest and longest streetscapes in Launceston.
Dorset Terrace, Cameron Street, Launceston: A splendid row of two storey terrace houses, which provide an interest contrast to the less elaborately detailed Esk View Terrace houses on the opposite side of the street. Dorset Terrace features more finely detailed wrought iron filigree.
Launceston Town Hall
18-28 St John Street, Launceston. Tas.: A fine example of a late Victorian Italianate Town Hall in original and intact condition. Richly modelled facades and imposing two storey colonnade make this a memorable building and adds character to central Launceston's historic precinct.
Construction is of stuccoed brick, has parapet with finials concealing roof, and highly decorative entablature. Eastern facade has a giant colonnade of Corinthian columns. Engaged Corinthian columns extend around the other walls. Windows generally are arch topped and prominent ground floor windows are flanked by engaged columns supporting entablatures and pediments over. Lower level panels between columns are imitation ashlar, rusticated. Two excellent interiors: council Chamber and upper foyer.
Cascade Hotel, Launceston: A fine example of a Victorian Italianate townhouse built in the 1860's, still freestanding and located in the central area of Launceston. It was once used by The Masonic Club. The roof is hipped and concealed by a plain corniced parapet. The building is of brick with a stuccoed facade, with vermiculated quoins at corners and a plain string course between levels. The upper level is plain stucco with windows having moulded surrounds and recessed panels below. The lower level is of imitation rusticated ashlar. Windows have decorative voussoirs and vermiculated keystones. The front door (five panelled) has a simple moulding and bracketed pediment. The northern wing was probably a later addition.
1936 - Holyman Building, 52-54 Cameron Street: Launceston has a number of inter-war Functionalist buildings, and this is one of the finest examples of the style. The application of the Functionalist style to the Holymans Building is particularly sophisticated, featuring exterior characteristics such as eye-catching, vertically modelled fins, a strong suggestion of arrested vertical motion, symmetry, "streamlined" effects, a stepped corner tower, strongly modelled decoration, and metal frame windows. This four storey building was erected in 1936 as the flagship of Holyman & Sons, sea, land and air enterprises. Designed by R.S. Smith of the Launceston based firm of H.S. East and Roy Smith, the building originally housed an 'airport lounge', where passengers would wait for the transit bus to transport them to the Launceston airport. The building wraps the corner of this prominent city site, providing a simple and smooth-flowing Functionalist edge culminating in a stepped Art Deco-style corner turret and flagpole.
86 Brisbane Street
86 Brisbane Street, Launceston: One of the few Art deco style buildings in the city's central business district. This one differs from the others in that it is a double storey shop (the others are multi storey) and features a flat stone-faced front facade with restrained Art Deco motifs on its extremities and in the centre above the centre window and below the flagpole.
St John's Priory
Former St John's Priory, 116 St John Street, Launceston: An excellent example of a Victorian Gothic Revival rectory built in 1873. The two storey building was constructed in brick and sandstone. It has high-pitched gabled roofs with secondary hipped gables over windows. Some bargeboards are decorated, and the chimneys are clustered. Windows are of the casement type with chamfered stone heads and sills, and decorative brick relieving arches over. Some window panels are lead glazed, the house sits on a bluestone foundation, and has a wide concave roofed verandah supported by timber columns and decorative brackets.
c.1880 - Former Rydge's Warehouse & Commonwealth Offices, Cnr George & Cameron Streets, Launceston: A fine Victorian Classical stuccoed brick building built to a design by P. Mills. It features a plain parapet over a bracketed cornice, windows are arched with mouldings and decorative keystones and flanked by engaged Corinthian columns. The facades have many decorative details including three recesses housing free-standing statues at first floor level, including one on the corner.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church
1902 - Holy Trinity Anglican Church, George Street, Launceston: This church is one of the architectural gems of Launceston. It is lovingly and sensitively maintained as an integral part of the history, culture and heritage of the city. The present building is the second on the site. The red brick and sandstone church is a fine example of the Federation Gothic Style. The major part of the present complex was desined by Launceston's justly-famed master architect, Alexander North. Is is considered to be he greatest work, certainly his largest single structure. The Gothic details include gargoyles, turrets, gables, buttresses and a fleche. The stained glass windows include three memorial windows imported from England for the first Holy Trinity Church on this site, built in 1842.
St Andrew's Anglican Church
St Andrews Presbyterian Church, 36 St John Street, Launceston: A fine propertioned stuccoed brick church with well crafted Gothic details and tower on its eastern side supporting a delicate Freestone octagonal spire. The walls are buttressed with angled buttresses on corners. All buttresses topped with pinnacles. Built in 1867, the church is one of the few remaining works of a distinguished Tasmanian architect Henry Clayton.
Seaport Boulevard, Launceston: The substantial customs house was built in 1885. Its size is indicative of Launceston s importance as a port at the time. The ore from the rich tin mine at Mt Bischoff was processed in the town, plus Launceston supplied the mine fields on the west coast. Trade flourished, and the customs duties contributed to a booming Tasmanian economy.
Sadly, today the wharves which were contiguous with this building are gone and a very necessary levee bank visually divorces the building from its immediate riverside setting. This building once housed what was thought to be the most important of government functions and currently contains the offices for Customs and Border Protection in Launceston.
91-95 George Street, Launceston: Originally three storey conjoined Regency-style townhouses built in the 1840s, the lower level addition of shops has changed the appearance of the building, however the upper levels of the building retain their original details. It is built of brick with a painted stone facade, has a gabled roof with dormer windows, partly concealed by the parapet, with cornice and frieze. The upper level windows have 12 panes, moulded surrounds and lug sills. Intermediate windows have 12 panes and bracketed pediments over. There is an iron balustrade at first floor level which was probably added later when the lower level shops were built.
Colonial Motor Inn
31 Elizabeth Street, corner George Street, Launceston: Built as the Launceston Grammar School in 1847, this school had the longest continuous history of any public school in Australia. Built in the Tudor style, the two storey building's main central section has a gabled roof, chimneys at each end and small cross gable centrally over projecting bay in street facade. Windows are casement type with small panes, in plain surrounds with slipsills. Front door opening has flat arched top. West wing is similar in detail but its gabled roof runs at right angles to main roof. East wing is similar in scale, with label moulds, Edwardian decor.
AMP Building, 66 Cameron Street, Launceston: An historically significant example of an early commercial office complex, executed in the Mannerist form with Romanesque influences. The building has an ornate and interesting facade of multicoloured stone and blue and gold mosaics. It has a slate roof and a group of fine marble statues over the centre of the building. Interior furnishings of Blackwood and hall with tessellated tile flooring.
St John's Parish Hall
1842 - Colonial Motor Inn Annexe (former St John's Parish Hall), 33 Elizabeth Street, Launceston: A prominent single storey brick building, its steeply pitched gable roof has small central and side gables over three window openings on the street facade; the gable ends have decorative bargeboards and finials. The building's Early Victorian Gothic design remains as an example of a colonial schoolroom.
Bank of Australasia Building
1885 - ANZ Bank building, 111 Brisbane Street (Cnr St John Street), Launceston: The architects were Reed, Henderson and Smart from London who created this high Victorian design in a manner very similar to the office of the new ANZ bank in Threadneedle Street, London. It is a fine Mannerist two storey corner building and a good example of late 19th century stucco work. The upper level finishes in a solid parapet and is divided into panels by single and paired, engaged Corinthian columns. Windows have flat arched tops with decorative keystones and iron balustraded. The lower level has very decorative stucco work and engaged rusticated columns. Windows flat topped with rounded corners. Double front doors in splayed corner with studded rails and raised panels.