1793. Hayes. Descriptive of its location.
One could be excused for thinking that the peninsula was named because it is from time to time a fire hazard and prone to bushfires. That might well be the case, but the name has a different origin. In the early 1800s, a Joshua Fergusson lived above what is now known as Tinderbox Beach. A retired Scottish sea captain who migranted to Van Diemen's Land in 1816, Fergusson planted a crop of tobacco, hoping to service the needs of local pipe smokers.
One day while walking along the beach he came across a silver tinderbox inscribed in French, an indication that some thirty years before, early French expeditioners, perhaps travelling with Nicolas Baudin, or more likely Bruny D’Entrecasteaux, who it is known had spent some time ashore in the vicinity. Perhaps they visited this beach and used the tinderbox to light a fire, dropped the object in the sand, and then sailed back to France, leaving the momento of their visit behind. From the time he found the tinderbox, Feruggon refered to the locality as Tinderbox Beach, a name which was soon adopted for the whole peninsula.
6.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Named after a Benedictine chaplain, Dom or Abbe Ambroise Pierson, (1765-1794) who was also an astronomer. He undertook this work while travelling on board the l’Espérance, a companion vessel to explorer Bruni d’Entrecasteaux’s La Recherche. In 1792, these French ships sailed through what has since been named the D’Entrecasteaux Channel. As a civilian astronomer, Pierson kept journals recording the readings from the chronometers along with astronomical calculations to determine longitude and workbooks comparing the two.
In 1808 Norfolk Islanders Thomas and Anne Lucas received a grant of 530 acres at Brown's River. The Lucas family set about building a crude timber dwelling and with the help of their four sons cleared four acres and sowed wheat and barley. Thomas Lucas died in 1816 and his four sons, Thomas, Richard, John and Nathaniel, all became substantial landholders in the district and were prominent citizens.
Derived from a perculiar rock at the bay’s entrance, which, from its formation and the brushwood growing on to, gives it its name.
Blackmans Bay, to the south of Kingston, was named after a James Blackman who occupied land there in the 1820s while another 'Blackman Bay', near Dunalley (also in Tasmania) was so named in 1642 because of the presence of Aboriginal people.
6.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Named after expedition leader, Bruni D'Entrecasteaux. Named Seton Straits by Comm. John Hayes a year later, this name was never used. Early settlers knew the channel as South West Passage.
1793. Hayes. Named after the geographical features of Derwentwater and the Derwent River, in the Lakes District of his native Cumberland in England. Three months earlier, d'Entrecasteaux had returned to the area to repair his ships on his return home to France and named it "Riviere du Nord" (as the river flowed from the north). The river estuary was then named Port Buache by Baudin, 4.2.1802, after Philippe Buache (1700-1773), French geographer.
6.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Named after expedition leader, Bruni D'Entrecasteaux. Originally spelt Bruni, the name was later changed to Bruny Island. For a time Bruny Island was known as Pitt's Island, recalling the name 'Right Honourable William Pitt's Island' given to it by Commander John Hayes (later Sir John) of the East India Company, who in 1793, was the first British explorer to 'discover' and chart the River Derwent. Hayes named many coastal features in the vicinity of present day Hobart, but few are used today.
Governor Denison proclaimed the district a township on January 27th, 1851. The name Kingston was advocated by the then Police Magistrate, Mr Lucas. Although his exact reason for deciding on the name of Kingston is unknown, there are many theories. His parents, Thomas and Anne Lucas, the district's first settlers, lived at Norfolk Island before coming to Van Diemen's Land and the capital of Norfolk Island was Kingston. Another possible reason is that Thomas was born in Surrey, England in a village close to New Kingston. Finally some people suggest it was named after King, who was the Governor of Norfolk Island, when the Lucas family lived there. Whatever the reason, the district became known as Kingston and over the years the old name of Brown's River was gradually dropped.
Tyndall and Kingston beaches are located to either side of the sandy mouth of Browns River, with the centre of Kingston located 1.5 km to the west. The northern Tyndall Beach is a southeast-facing 300 metre long sandy beach that extends from the southern rocks of 40 metre high Bonnet Point to the usually narrow sandy river mouth and associated sand shoals.
Recalls Robert Brown (1773-1858), Scottish surgeon and Botanist who accompanied Matthew Flinders on his voyages to and around Australia, 1801-04. Brown stayed in local waters for nearly four years, the 3,600 specimens collected by Brown eventually made their way back to the UK. Many of Brown's biological discoveries from this area turned out to have been already discovered and documented by La Billardière on Bruny D’Entrecasteaux’s 1792 expedition. After the division of the Natural History Department of the British Museum into three sections in 1837, Robert Brown became the first Keeper of the Botanical Department, remaining so until his death. He served as President of the Linnean Society from 1849 to 1853.
Headland at the foot of Bonnet Hill.
The name 'Alum Cliffs' is descriptive. Permian Mudstones contain Iron Pyrites. As the rock weathers, the Pyrite oxidises and produces Sulphuric Acid which reacts with the limey clay to produce Alum. Alum was and is used as a mordant in dyeing fabrics particularly wool where it helps to lock the colour into the wool fibres. The name is said to be taken from Alum Cliffs on the Isle of Wight, England, which are of a similar geological composition.
Named after Joseph and Mary Louisa Hinsby who arrived in Taroona with their children in 1908, purchasing 27 acres of land on 27th June 1908 and building a home at the top of Churchill Road, called “Bellevue”. In 1905 there was a junior school on the property. The family home “Bellevue”, burned down some decades ago. A reserve in the area is named after Mary Louisa Hinsby, who originally donated the land to Council in 1950 to be made a children’s playground.
Taroona is an Aboriginal word meaning sea-shell, specifically that of a 'Chiton'. The traditional owners of the lands now known as Taroona were the Aboriginal people of the Derwent estuary known as the Mouheneener people. Relatively little is known about the indigenous people's use of these lands, although some shell middens are said to have been found along the shorelines.
The site of a Commomnwealth of Australia Quarantine Station.
Recalls John Dixon, formerly of Yorkshire, England, and his wife Emma (nee Lyall) of London, who moved from the Broadmarsh area of Tasmania and settled at his 22 acre Retreat Farm, Taroona, in 1894. The family were general farmers who rand a tea house at a boatshed on Dixons Beach. A son, Will, settled on an area where Illawong Crescent is situated. He established an apricot orchard, selling fruit to Henry Jones’ jam stores and exporting some to Sydney.
Named after the property of George and Sarah Cartwright (see below).
In the 1820s George and Sarah Cartwright acquired land from James Naine By 1839 the Cartwright brothers (George and John) had obtained the title to 280 acres, covering much of present day Taroona, south to the vicinity of Taroona Crescent. Eventually, all the properties on the river side of Channel Highway fromed the mid 19th century “Grange” house and gardens, where Cartwright lived.
Charles Darwin spent 12 days in Hobart in 1836 and inspected the geology of the foreshore. He walked the beach here, which is littered with dolerite and sandstone cobbles. He’d sailed into Hobart on the Beagle in 1836 and was initially unimpressed with the town, but this changed as walked about. He headed up the mountain, guided by the Sandy Bay Rivulet, and walked along the Derwent’s eastern shore. On his fifth day he found volcanic rocks near Blinking Billy Point on his walk from Battery Point to Sandy Bay. He concluded the cliff nearby, which revealed two lava flows and much volcanic debris, was the eroded heart of an ancient volcano, a view that was not confirmed until many years later. Darwin was undoubtedly the first to recognise the remains of a volcano in Tasmania.
Named affectionately after harbour master William Watchorn, Blinking Billy Point once housed two spotlights on its embankment. From 1890 until the Second World War, these spotlights worked in conjunction with a series of batteries that formed Hobart’s Derwent Defence Network, in particular Alexandra Battery and after 1909 Fort Nelson. Tucked away below a navigational beacon, the remains of the spotlight encasements offer excellent views of the River Derwent.
Nutgrove Beach takes its name from nearby Nutgrove House, at the end of Nutgrove Avenue (cnr Mansell Court). The house was named for its grove of walnut trees. There were many apple, pear and nut orchards in Lower Sandy Bay in the 19th Century.
Edward Garth's first Land Grant was at today's Maning Reserve. In the mid 1830's Garth sold half his grant to William Proctor. In 1850 Frederick Maning (1788-1864) bought the lower half . Maning Rivulet enters the Derwent here. Maning, from Dublin, Ireland, migrated to Tasmania with his family in the "Ardent" in 1824. He worked at the customs office at Hobart. His son, Frederick Edward Maning (1812-1883) likely participated in the infamous Black Line and at least witnessed aspects of the Black War. He reportedly did not speak of this period much in his later life. It is possible that these incidents may have contributed to his decision to leave Hobart and pursue his fortune in New Zealand. In 1840, Maning Jnr acted as a translator at meetings about the Treaty of Waitangi.
West Point was one of the camping grounds of the Aboriginal tribes who lived in the area. Thomas Chaffey, a Norfolk Islander, built his home on the point, which became known as Chaffey’s Point, in about 1808-1813. His Son William Chaffey built the Traveller’s Wrest Hotel (which still stands today on Sandy Bay Road) in 1836. In 1847 William Chaffey sold Chaffey’s Point to David Dunkley. He built his home St Helena on the point, which was renamed Dunkley’s Point. In 1898 George G. Robertson bought St Helena and re-built a new St Helena with jetty and a boat house. (St Helena’s Point) In 1928 Mrs. G. Minette Lucas bought the property and built her mansion called Wrest Point. Arthur Drysdale bought the site in 1936 and built the Wrest Point Riviera Hotel which opened in December 1939. The Wrest Point Hotel and Casino was built on the site between October 1970 - 1972 and was opened in 1973.
Named by Surveyor-General George Frankland in 1836 after Secheron Point on Lake Geneva, Switzerland, which he knew and admired.
Name followed that of the point on which the Mulgrave Battery was established in the 1820's. The locality was previously named East Hobart, but the residents favoured Battery Point.
Named from an English Officer, Thomas Watkin Court, 1st Officer of 'Duke of Clarence' under Sir John Hayes'.
The original name of the site of Hobart, named by Governor Collins after Mr John Sullivan, the Permanent Under-Secretary of the Imperial Colonial Office (Moore-Robinson). Under-Secretary Sullivan was also the brother in law of Lord Hobart.
The Governor of Tasmania, Sir James Plimsoll, yesterday unveiled a plaque on the site of Australia's first magnetic observatory in the grounds of Government House, Hobart. The Rossbank Observatory was built in nine days by convict labour in 1840. It was operated until 1854 by the polar scientist-explorer James Clark Ross to fix the position of the South Magnetic Pole, and give information on Australian and global geomagnetism.
1793. Hayes. Named for the semi-precious cornelian stones found on the beach. Soon after Sullivans Cove was settled in 1804, the Cornelian Bay site became the Government Farm, supplying fresh vegetables and other produce for the first residents of Hobart Town.
Probably named after Frederick Self (1858-1934) described in the 1906 Post Office Directory as the Water Bailiff, Cemetery Point, Cornelian Bay.
Descriptive of its location in relation to New Town. Newtown Bay was originally known as Stainforth's Cove.
The name is possibly connected to the Stanhope Mine, a coal mine north of Avoca that has operated intermittently since about 1904, or the Stanhope Tin Smelting Works.
Named by Commander John Hayes in 1793, as the three arms of the bay resembled the Princes of Wale's feathers.
Possibly named after Pauline (Pim) Bennison, wife of Lt Comm. K.H.L. MacKenzie of HMAS Geranium.
The suburb takes its name from the geographical feature of the same name, which was originally recorded as Dowsing's Point. Recalls James Dowsing, farmer of Prince of Wales Bay. James Dowsing was one of the Collins Settlement which landed at Sorrento on Port Phillip, Victoria, on the Calcutta. The first contingent relocated to Hobart Town on the Lady Nelson and Ocean. Dowsing and T Gavin took up a year lease on property here.
John Wilkinson arrived in Hobart 9th April 1825 with family, aboard the Lady East. In 1830 he established a pharmacy in Elizabeth Street, Hobart, possibly one of the first in Australia. It was still going in 1932, 102 years after its establishment.
Named after the property of John Wilkinson, who owned land around the bay. Wilkinson was granted land at O’Briens Bridge, (now Glenorchy) and called his farm Elwick – the Elwick Race Track was established on land owned by John Wilkinson in 1875.
Miss Gwen Gillham of Strathaven Home advised that this property was known as 'Napoli' circa 1888/1908.
There may be a connection with the name of the bay and the locality in which it is found – Glenorchy. Ewen Cameron was born in 1629 at Kilchurn Castle, Lochawa, the home of his mother, Margaret, daughter of Sir Robert Campbell of Glenorchy. The locality was named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie, whose wife was a Campbell.
Named from property of this name nearby, the house is shown on early survey 2/65 Buckingham, originally located to Thomas Yardley Lowes. There is a place called Lowestoft in Suffolk, England. Thomas Yardley Lowes (1798?-1870), distiller, merchant and auctioneer arrived at Hobart Town from England in the Thalia on 27 April 1823, as a free settler, with his wife Anna Maria Theresa and infant daughter Mary Ann. He erected a distillery and malt house at Cascade Grove, Hobart, and began distilling in 1824. Due to the scarcity of grain he had to close his distillery, the property was bought in 1827 by the government for the Female Factory, a place of detention for female prisoners. He was a member of the Legislative Council of Tasmania from 1856 until his death, a justice of the peace from 1862.
Edward McCarthy, manager of Lowestoft (see above).
Named from 'Connewarre' an old Stage Coach Inn on the main road opposite this bay. It was licenced as the Travellers Rest in the 1870's.
Recalls the Knight family who lived nearby. William Knight was killed by Pallittorre Aborigines in June 1827. A series of incidents, involving Pallittorre attempts at negotiation, raids on stock-huts, the theft of women and children, and killings of blacks preceded Knight's death. His death led to the subsequent massacre of up to sixty Aborigines.
'Windermere' was the name of old home of the Knight family which stood on the site of Claremont High School. Charles Eagle Knight of 'Windermere' is shown in Volume 1 of 'Cyclopedia of Tasmania'.
Believed to be shaped like a dog's ear, it is the location of the Cadbury's chocolate factory in Claremont, and the Claremont Golf Club's Course.
First appeared on map in 1867/1868. Possibly named after Henry Bilton, an early grantee. Claremont House (alternatively known as Lady Clark House) was built in the early 19th century by Henry Bilton who lived there for some time. Henry came to Tasmania on medical advice in 1825. In 1826 he purchased 93 acres of land first granted to John Pascoe Fawkner Jnr. in 1813. The property once extended to the edge of the Derwent River and included the entire peninsula on which the Cadbury chocolate factory and the Claremont Golf Course sit currently. Bilton named the property after one of the royal homes of England. He became a merchant and later a gentleman farmer. As the first importer of Leicester sheep to Tasmania he gained significant wealth and turned his attention to politics.
Taken from the owner of nearby property, George Beedhan. He was for many years as a solicitor in Hobart, being admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court on 22 March 1886. He was prominently connected for a long period with the Tasmanian Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He stood for Parliament on several occasions, but was not successful.
Derived from Frank Rust, a farmer of Claremont is listed in the 1898 PO Directory. Henrietta Childs married Francis Rust – Henrietta came to Tasmania aboard the Maitland in 1851 with her family.
James Austin, who arrived from England in 1807, was later given a grant of land with a considerable water frontage nine miles from Hobart, and worked it as a farm. It was on this site that he started a ferry across the Derwent late in 1818. It was important as the gateway to the North long before the causeway at Bridgewater was opened.
Originally known as Stoney Point. The Stoney Point ferry used to run between here and Green Point.
Recalls bird lover, Arthur Gould, who owned the lagoon and surrounding land. It is said he could ‘see the way things were going’ in 1937 when he declared the area a reserve.
the small cove just north of Stanfield Drive, Old Beach. John Ogle Gage received a grant of land in 1824. John Ogle Gage had entered the British Army early in 1813, and on Christmas Day the same year was appointed Ensign. Two years and four months later, he was transferred with the same rank, to the 15th or Yorkshire, East Riding, Regiment of Foot. He was again transferred, this time to the 9th Regiment of Light Dragoons, where he held the rank of Cornet, until his retirement on May 3, 1823, on half pay. As well as being the home for the Commander, the suburb once had a large apple orchard, and at another time a golf course.
The point from which the ferry to Austins Ferry left.
The place of the Risdon Ferry Landing. Though David Collins abandoned the Risdon Cove settlement, Martha Hayes took up land on the western side of the River Derwent. She was to marry Andrew Whitehead in 1811 and had her third daughter by him. In 1812, their neighbour Major Andrew Geils erected a brick dwelling, which he called Restdown.
The area and the bay takes its name from the iron barque Otago, the only command of the author Joseph Conrad, which was dismantled at a shipbreaking establishment that operated at the bay (formerly known simply as part of Old Beach) between the 1920s and 1960s. The remains of the Otago (beached there in 1931) and a steel river steamer the Westralian (beached in 1937) can still be seen on the beach. The area is now generally referred to as The Ships Graveyard.
Prominent Irish merchant and politician Richard Cleburne (1799-1864). In April 1854 he bought the Ferry House at Risdon, and in 1860 took over the government's irregular ferry service.
1793. Hayes. Named after William Bellamy Risdon, second officer of one of Hayes' ships, 'Duke of Clarence'.
A small chapel overlooking Risdon Cove owes it existence to prominent Irish merchant and politician Richard Cleburne (1799-1864). Cleburne’s farmstead had extensive frontage on the Derwent and here he built a fine stone house.
Originally known as Bowen Point. Being the point to the north of the Risdon Ferry Landing, it was considered an appropriate replacement name to Bowen Point.
Apparently the name was given from the early days when the steamer Monarch went to New Norfolk. The noise from the engines apparently was intensified by these cliffs.
Possibly that point shown on old chart by John Hayes as Deep Point and Deep Bay.
Geilston Bay took its name from the Geilston Estate in Dumbartonshire, Scotland, once the home of Lt-Col Andrew Geils, commandant of Hobart Town settlement from 1812 to 1813. Geils was appointed Commander of the Settlement of Hobart in 1812 after David Collins died. He left Australia in the following year with his regiment, after having incurred the displeasure of Governor Macquarie.
This name shown on Lindisfarne Town Plan L79 dated 1913, Koomela Road also shown as well as many other aboriginal street names apparently name of bay has nothing to do with river steamer Koomeela. Evidence had shown various methods of spelling this aboriginal word and that the naming of a nearby street apparently preceded that of the bay.
Formerly known as Beauty Point, Beltana was the name by which Lindisfarne was once known. 'Beltana' is said to be (J Haines) South Australian Aboriginal word meaning 'running water', and was in use as a postal address from 1892 to 1903. J Haines in South Australia used the name in 1855. Beltana is a Post Office name in South Australia. This duplication, it appears led to the change to Lindisfarne.
The suburb of Lindisfarne endured an identity crisis in its early years. It was first known as Hobermans Bay or Oglemans Bay (both apparently named after the same person). The area was later named Prices Bay (after an early resident John Price) and became Lindisferne in the 1840s (after Lindisferne House, where Price lived). A major housing development occurred in 1892 and the developers named their subdivision Beltana. However, this name was often confused with nearby Bellerive so the suburb was renamed Lindisfarne in 1903 (the incorrect earlier spelling of Lindisferne being abandoned). The suburb is named after Lindisfarne Island (or Holy Island), in Northumberland, England, which is a sacred isle located close to Berwick-on-Tweed.
Takes its name from Shore Street.
The area was called Rose Bay at the turn of the century.
Named after Justice Algernon Sidney Montagu, arriving in Hobart Town in October 1828 to take up the position of attorney-general of Van Diemen's Land. Montagu was the original grantee of land here. A smelting works formerly operated in this area, giving rise to the point’s original name, Smelting Works Point.
Originaly known as The Queens Beach.
Being the second bluff at Bellerive. Re-naming of the location Wellington Bluff was considered but never acted upon.
56 acres on what is now Howrah Point was originally granted to John McKoy 1/01/1817, then to James Fielder after Louisa Fielder and others: was named Howrah by the Fielder family. Howrah is a suburb of Calcutta, India and William H Fielder of the Bengal Pilot Service was stationed here. R W Nutt, well known solicitor of Hobart owned Howrah, his country residence (1858).
8.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Descriptive. Also known as Tranmere Peninsula.
Named after the nearby Tranmere property - about 3 km south of Howrah.
The Tranmere was the vessel which brought the main Van Diemens Land party to Tasmania.
The site of Tasmania’s earliest whaling stations. A trypot from the whaling station was still on site prior to 1947 and was used to store water for the steam traction engines used on the property. Hobart’s first Harbour Master, William Collins, had noted that whales were more prevalent in the Derwent from July to September and was encouraged by Governor Collins to set up a shore whaling station. Tasmania's first known whaling station at Trywork Point was already in operation by September 1805 when Reverend Robert Knopwood remarked in his diary that he had seen upwards of 60 whales near Sullivans Cove and it could be dangerous to cross the river by boat. '
While not officially named, the sandy beach between Trywork and Droughty Points acquired the name ‘Chinamans Bay’ in the 1850s. The 650 ton Lady Montagu had sailed from Canton bound for Lima with 400 Chinese labourers on board. However, a fever epidemic struck soon after sailing and by the time the ship was off Tasmania, 200 were already dead. Seeking help from Hobart, the captain anchored off Droughty Point, but despite the ship being quarantined, several bodies were dumped overboard. It is said that, as a result, fish caught in the area could not be sold, or even given away.
Droughty Point lies in a rain shadow with only three natural springs which yield a somewhat meagre flow. Any crops had to be dependent on a low seasonal rainfall. Over the years the farm supported a number of cattle and sheep, and grew wheat, maize, oats and barley as well as vegetables such as potatoes, onions, tomatoes, pumpkin and beetroot. There were also plenty of introduced rabbits. Droughty is an old Scottish word meaning lack of water, from which the word ‘drought’ originates.
The large bay to the east of South Arm Peninsula is Frederick Henry Bay. This name was originally given to what is now known as Blackman Bay near Dunalley by Dutch explorer Abel Tasman on 6 December, 1642. It was at Blackman Bay on 3rd December 1642 that Tasman's ship's carpenter, Peter Jacobsen, volunteered to swim ashore with a pole on which was the Prince's flag, which he planted on the shore of the bay. In doing so, Tasman had taken possession of Van Diemen's Land for the Dutch.
The name honours Dutch Prince Frederick Henrijk. Frederick Henry, or Frederik Hendrik in Dutch (29 January 1584 -14 March 1647), was the sovereign Prince of Orange and stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Guelders, and Overijssel from 1625 to 1647. The "Period of Frederick Henry," as it is usually styled by Dutch writers, is generally accounted the golden age of the republic. It was marked by great military and naval triumphs, by worldwide maritime and commercial expansion, and by a wonderful outburst of activity in the domains of art and literature.
1793. Hayes. Named Double Bay by D'Entrecasteaux, 6.5.1792. Ralphs Bay is the strech of water to the west of Lauderdale which is almost totally encircles by South Arm Peninsula. It was named after a sea captain, William Ralph. Aided by Calcutta merchants, Lieutenant John Hayes, a marine officer of the Indian Naval Services, fitted out two ships, the Duke of Clarence, and a sister ship, the Duchess of Bengal, the latter commanded by Ralph, and embarked on a private expedition in 1793 the sponsors hoped would capture some of the spice market. The vessels sailed on 6 February, 1793. Winds drove them south towards Van Diemen's Land.
SOUTH ARM PENINSULA
South Arm Peninsula
1793. Hayes. Descriptive of its location in relation to Tranmere Peninsula, it being an arm of Tranmere. Tranmere in Old Norse is Trani-melr, meaning "Cranebird sandbank" or "sandbank with the Cranebirds".
William Gellibrand came out to Van Diemen’s Land in 1824 and was granted 2000 acres of land at South Arm. Gellibrand lived on his grant, but was often in town to attend meetings. He was rowed up by boat from South Arm. In 1831 Gellibrand applied for an additional grant, getting the rest of South Arm to Calvert Lagoon.
He had 20 convicts to help him develop the farm and he lived on the farm until 1840 when he died. He exported gum, planks, bricks, bacon, hams, sheep skins, bran, oats, barley and hay, horses, cattle and sheep in the 1820s. William Gellibrand died in Hobart in 1840, and was buried in a vault built on his property at South Arm. His grandson, Thomas Lloyd Gellibrand, inherited the property and lived at Terra Linna, which today is the oldest building in South Arm. Terra Linna is listed on the National Trust Heritage list. Thomas divided the property into sections and leased it to different people to farm. These people later bought sections and became the pioneers of South Arm.
Gellibrand Point is the northern tip of South Arm. On the point is Gellibrand Vault, the burial site of William Gellibrand who was the original grantee at South Arm. Along this section of coastline are good views of Mount Wellington and Taroona where the shot tower is visible. Gellibrsnd Point Beach lies 500 m south of the western tip of the point and consists of a 150 m long strip of high tide sand interrupted by rock outcrops and backed by steep 10-20 m high bluffs. It faces west across the Derwent and usually receives very low swell to calm conditions.
Recalls the ketch Mary Ann capsized off South Arm in 1911. Mary Ann Bay is located 1 km southwest of the point and contains a 250 m long northwest-facing, narrow beach.
Name taken from retired doctor who lived here for number of years. Known in early days as Bushrangers Beach. The curving 850 m long Mitchells Beach occupies the northern half of the bay commencing 200 m north of Opossum Bay beach. The South Arm Road terminates just south of the beach at a locked gate, with access to the beach only on foot along the shore from Opossum Bay.
Opossum Bay beach is a curving 600 m long west-facing beach, sheltered in the south by a 200 m long headland, with waves increasing slightly up the beach to maintain a low gradient reflective to low tide terrace beach. Beachfront houses and several boat sheds line the back of the beach, the houses sitting atop 10 m high bluffs, with the road behind. The only public access is at the southern end where there is a jetty, small car park and reserve.
Previously known as Walkers Point, from the presence of the Walker family. Originally listed as 'locally known by the name Iceworks Point.
Recalls a family which lived and farmed in the area. Edward Musk arrived in Van Diemen’s Land as a convict, transported for seven years for stealing wheat. After serving his sentence, Musk headed for the Victorian goldfields where he made enough money to purchase the property of William Gellibrand, South Arm’s first land grantee, to provide security for his wife and family who had joined him. Muks’s daughter, fifteen year-old Susannah Musk, was one of six people who drowned in a boating accident returning from a funeral on 8th April 1855. Her gravestone is in the graveyard of St Matthew’s Church, Rokeby.
Named after John Calvert (Fort Beach was also known as Johns Beach before the army took over). John Calvert, who began farming around 1870, was one of the sons of Christopher Calvert who first came to South Arm in 1851. His farmhouse 'Pleasant View' was located tat Fort Direction. Johns Point beach is a 150 m long west-facing reflective beach, which is partly protected by Johns Point. The beach is 2.1 km long and faces south-southeast into Storm Bay, exposing it to all southerly swell. Waves average 1-1.5 m and maintain a moderately steep beach fronted by a continuous bar which is cut by rips every 200 m during and following high waves, with permanent rips against the rocks at each end.
Seacroft Bay lies between Cape Deliverance and Johns Point and faces west across the river. Wave height averages less than 1 m inside the bay, increasing slightly towards Johns Point.
This 800 metre beach on Seacroft Bay is backed by a low fore dune. There’s a playground and BBQ area as well as a car park. Houses overlook the beach from across the road, as well as on Johns Point at its northern extent, while the south is partially backed by Fort Direction. The beach is a southwest-facing reflective to low tide terrace beach, with a rocky outcrop more or less in the centre, and combined with either the cape and / or the point, makes for a pleasurable walk. It is popular with locals and is a safe swimming beach that’s also good for a picnic.
From the name of property of Gellibrand family. Glenvar Beach is a 250 m long west-facing headland-bound beach located on the southern side of Opossum Bay. It is backed by a row of beachfront houses with boat sheds, some boat ramps and seawalls spread along the beach. The houses continue along the boundary 10 m high bluffs and around the northern point into Opossum Bay.
Cape Deliverance is to the south of South Arm, not far from Cape Direction. Views across the 4km wide south-east entrance of the Derwent Estuary extend to Pierson's Point and the Tinderbox area. Dominating Cape Deliverance is the Lone Pine War Memorial. In an arc are seven pillars, on each was the name of the seven Australian servicemen who were awarded the Victoria Cross as a result of their actions at the Battle of Lone Pine near Gallipoli. This was the significant battle fought between Australian and Ottoman Empire forces during the First World War between 6 and 10 August 1915. This open, somewhat isolated spot was considered byb the RSL to be a particularly appropriate site for such a memorial because the physical nature of the location and its views are reminiscent of the Dardenelles.
The bay adjacent to Iron Pot Island. Possibly named because the first navigation light at the location is believed to have been a fire in an old whaler’s trypot.
Iron Pot is a small flat sandstone island. Part of the Betsey Island Group, it lies close to the south-eastern coast of Tasmania around the entrance to the Derwent River. It is the site of Tasmania’s first lighthouse. Some sources claim the name refers to a container buried here that contains treasure from the wreck of the Hope in 1827.
8.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Bearings were taken here. The Fort Direction Ammunition Storage Facility includes Fort Hill, Cape Direction, Pot Bay, Cape Deliverance and part of Seacroft Bay. The site covers an area of about 105 acres and was acquired by the Commonwealth in 1938. From Cape Direction it is possible to see the Iron Pot lighthouse.
The Hope was wrecked in 1827 opposite Bruny Island on the beach which now bears its name and soon became legendary as stories of the lost treasure on board spread far and wide.
1793, Hayes. Previously named Willaunez Island by Bruni D'Entrecasteaux a few months earlier (7.5.1792) after one of his officers. Renamed Franklin Island after Lady Franklin bought it. The island reverted to its original name after her death. Jean-Baptiste-Philibert Willaumez (1793–1843) was a 26 year old lieutenant aboard the Recherche,
Believed to be known to surfers as Potters Bluff. The name was first recorded in 1839. Thomas Potter landed in Van Diemens Land in 1823. His son Edward, and his family, lived in a cottage at the foot of Goat Hill, and together with his brother farmed a property at the South Arm Neck.
The Calverts arrived in South Arm in the year 1832. They bought land and called it Seacroft. It is still owned by John Calvert. He also owned Fort Direction. William Calvert bought property along Roaring Beach Rd. He had the most extensive orchard of the orchards at South Arm.
David Calvert's mum played the organ at church and his Dad played cricket each year in Hobart against other districts.
Recorded as 'Contrietes' by Bruny D'Entrecasteaux. Alternatively known as 'Watsons Bluff'.
The cliffs below Goat Bluff contain cliffs at sea level that were used by smugglers.
Clifton was first shown in 1941 Walch's Almanac as a Post Station. The name is believed to be taken from a nearby property, which was named after Clifton, Perthshire, Scotland.
8.5.1792. D'Entrecasteaux. Named after Hippolyte Des-Lacs, 15 year old cabin boy, Recherche. French naval vessels often carried a number of cabin boys, named ‘mousse’. Deslacs – full name Charles-Francois- Hippolyte Deslacs d’Arcamball (1777-1805). Of Parisian aristocratic birth, he died at the Battle of Trafalgar. The cape has also been known as Watsons Bluff, presumably named after a local farmer.
One of the first farms on the banks of the lagoon was Waterloo Farm, owned by Captain Busby and his wife Mary. When John Morrisby bought it from Mary he developed orchards of apples, pears, apricots and cherries and grew peas and root crops between the rows, enriching the alluvial soils with seaweed.
Locally referred to by some as The Frying Pan. The name appears to be taken from Leumeah, an outer Sydney suburb in the Macarthur District. The name means "Here I rest" and comes from the Tharawal language.
Maria Point is located in the Sandford area and is between Ralphs and Mortimer Bays. It beach is a very low energy south-facing 300 m long strip of high tide sand fronted by 400 metres wide sand flats. The road terminates at the eastern end of the beach. Possibly named after the ship Maria, which btought William Alger Spencer to Tasmania in 1864.
Named after an original grantee, about the year 1840, Henry William Mortimer. A beach is located at the northern end of the bay in lee of Maria Point. The road terminates at the eastern end of the beach.
Huxleys Beach extends for 1 km between two 20 m high headlands with Dixon Point forming the northern boundary. The beach faces west across 200 m wide sand flats. The beach can be accessed along the Dixon Point road, which terminates at a small coastal reserve in the centre of the beach. The name recalls Edward Huxley and family, early landowners.
Recalls the name of a property nearby.
After Henry (Harry) Alfred Townsend Roche (1868 - ) who was one of the pioneers of the area and owned property there and lived there for many years with his father James Sebastian Roche, a school teacher at Rokeby School.
1.12.1642. Tasman. Storm encountered on previous day. When Tasman gave the name, he was in fact referring to Adventure Bay but more recent map makers marked this bay as Tasman's Storm Bay and the name has been retained.