A Sense of place:
Launceston Heritage Walk
Cornwall Hotel, 35-39 Cameron Street, Launceston
One of Launceston's oldest buildings, parts of the rear quarters are original and date from 1823. It was in this hotel that John Pascoe Fawkner held a meeting to plan the settlement of Melbourne. Later improvements saw the addition of the two storey brick and render Edwardian (Federation) Freestyle facade having large circular motif windows to the first floor and an ornate Art Nouveau facade parapet. The rear section of the hotel is an early Georgian brick structure with hipped roof and close eaves. One window which is visible has rubbed brick lintel and glazing bars (24 panes). It is now known as the John Fawkner Inn.
Esk View Terrace
Esk View Terrace, 111-123 Cameron Street, Launceston
A splendid row of two storey high Victorian terraces with iron balconies, colonnades, projecting end and central bays and three storey corner tower. Intermediate houses are set back behind verandahs with cast-iron balustrades and valences. The west end of the terrace is more elaborate, with tiled conical tower roof with tiny dormers and bracketed eaves. Dormer windows (impedimented) to attics in roofs pace, at parapet level. Upper level windows have bracketed pediments over while lower level windows have square tops in contrast to otherwise arched topped ones. The street frontage has a fine iron fence with gates. Esk View Terrace, together with the neighbouring Middlesex Terrace produces one of the finest and longest streetscapes in Launceston.
Launceston Post Office
1889 - Launceston Post Office, 68 Cameron Street, Launceston
Built as the main post office for Launceston, it has fulfilled this role over a lengthy period, being the central point in the city for a wide range of services which have evolved over the decades. A fine example of Federation Queen Anne style, the two storey building's use of red brick and freestone, impressive street facades, internal quadrangle with galleries, decorative stone carving, fine leadlight work, pediments, corner tower, cupolas, and a wide range of other decorative features all contribute to its significance. It has a central chamber in the form of a quadrangle with an octagonal glass roof. Other decorative features include carved freestone panels and dressings.
1936 - Holyman Building, 52-54 Cameron Street
Launceston has a number of inter-war Functionalist buildings, and this is one of the finest examples of the style. The application of the Functionalist style to the Holymans Building is particularly sophisticated, featuring exterior characteristics such as eye-catching, vertically modelled fins, a strong suggestion of arrested vertical motion, symmetry, "streamlined" effects, a stepped corner tower, strongly modelled decoration, and metal frame windows. This four storey building was erected in 1936 as the flagship of Holyman & Sons, sea, land and air enterprises. Designed by R.S. Smith of the Launceston based firm of H.S. East and Roy Smith, the building originally housed an 'airport lounge', where passengers would wait for the transit bus to transport them to the Launceston airport. The building wraps the corner of this prominent city site, providing a simple and smooth-flowing Functionalist edge culminating in a stepped Art Deco-style corner turret and flagpole.
AMP Building, 66 Cameron Street, Launceston
An historically significant example of an early commercial office complex, executed in the Mannerist form with Romanesque influences. The building has an ornate and interesting facade of multicoloured stone and blue and gold mosaics. It has a slate roof and a group of fine marble statues over the centre of the building. Interior furnishings of Blackwood and hall with tessellated tile flooring.
Dorset Terrace, Cameron Street, Launceston
A splendid row of two storey terrace houses, which provide an interest contrast to the less elaborately detailed Esk View Terrace houses on the opposite side of the street. Dorset Terrace features more finely detailed wrought iron filigree.
92-94 Cameron Street, Launceston
1829-30 - a fine freestanding Georgian warehouse and a rare survivor of its type. It was built by the prominent merchant Henry Reed who, with Batman and Fawkner, requisitioned stores here for their journeys across Bass Strait which led to the settlement of Melbourne. It is a large freestanding warehouse of three levels and basement and has a hipped roof with projecting eaves. The walls are of brick with sandstone quoins at corners and around window and door openings. Window lintels and sills are also sandstone. The windows are small-paned casements. The whole building is on a bluestone rubble basement.
c.1880 - Former Rydge's Warehouse & Commonwealth Offices, Cnr George & Cameron Streets, Launceston
A fine Victorian Classical stuccoed brick building built to a design by P. Mills. It features a plain parapet over a bracketed cornice, windows are arched with mouldings and decorative keystones and flanked by engaged Corinthian columns. The facades have many decorative details including three recesses housing free-standing statues at first floor level, including one on the corner. A statue of Diana (the Huntress) graces the Cameron and George streets corner; statues of Venus and Fortuna appear in the other recesses.
91-95 George Street, Launceston
Originally three storey conjoined Regency-style townhouses built in the 1840s, the lower level addition of shops has changed the appearance of the building, however the upper levels of the building retain their original details. It is built of brick with a painted stone facade, has a gabled roof with dormer windows, partly concealed by the parapet, with cornice and frieze. The upper level windows have 12 panes, moulded surrounds and lug sills. Intermediate windows have 12 panes and bracketed pediments over. There is an iron balustrade at first floor level which was probably added later when the lower level shops were built.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church
1902 - Holy Trinity Anglican Church, George Street, Launceston
This church is one of the architectural gems of Launceston. It is lovingly and sensitively maintained as an integral part of the history, culture and heritage of the city. The present building is the second on the site. The red brick and sandstone church is a fine example of the Federation Gothic Style. The major part of the present complex was desined by Launceston's justly-famed master architect, Alexander North. Is is considered to be he greatest work, certainly his largest single structure. The Gothic details include gargoyles, turrets, gables, buttresses and a fleche. The stained glass windows include three memorial windows imported from England for the first Holy Trinity Church on this site, built in 1842.
153-155 George Street, Launceston
An imposing and unique pair of conjoined townhouses (now one residence) of Regency style built around 1837. A feature is its fine French windows on the upper level and the continuous balcony with cast iron balustrading. The building's roof is hipped with close eaves and plain stuccoed corbelled chimneys. Each house frontage is of three bays. The lower level has verandah with wooden balustrade and iron brackets. Front doors are four panelled, with moulded surrounds and Regency transom lights. Front windows are twelve paned, side windows are 24 paned. Stuccoed facade has simple pilasters and frieze.
Off George and York Streets, Launceston
Pedestrianised in 1979, the Quadrant with its curved building facades provides an interesting and picturesque Victorian streetscape. The street was named when the block of land was subdivided by architect William Henry Clayton in 1856. During the construction of the mall, the well at the northern end was uncovered on the land granted to Dicky White, a former highwayman. Transported to New South Wales as a convict, he arrived in Launceston in 1814 and later built the nearby Launceston Hotel.
Colonial Motor Inn
31 Elizabeth Street, corner George Street, Launceston
Built as the Launceston Grammar School in 1847, this school had the longest continuous history of any public school in Australia. Built in the Tudor style, the two storey building's main central section has a gabled roof, chimneys at each end and small cross gable centrally over projecting bay in street facade. Windows are casement type with small panes, in plain surrounds with slipsills. Front door opening has flat arched top. West wing is similar in detail but its gabled roof runs at right angles to main roof. East wing is similar in scale, with label moulds, Edwardian decor.
St John's Parish Hall
1842 - Colonial Motor Inn Annexe (former St John's Parish Hall), 33 Elizabeth Street, Launceston
A prominent single storey brick building, its steeply pitched gable roof has small central and side gables over three window openings on the street facade; the gable ends have decorative bargeboards and finials. The building's Early Victorian Gothic design remains as an example of a colonial schoolroom.
1891 - Albert Hall, 45 Tamar Street, Cnr Cimitiere Street, Launceston
An exhibition building in the high Victorian Classical style, erected as the main structure for the Tasmanian international exhibition, 25th November 1891 - 22nd March 1892. The two levelled hall has a hipped roof and moulded parapet and cornice with ball finials and corresponding miniature pediments. The upper level is plain stucco divided into bays by Corinthian pilasters. Windows have continuous elaborate sills, flanking Corinthian pilasters and entablatures and pediments over. Piers and pilasters in lower level are rusticated, windows have arched tops. Hall has large pediments at roof level above main entrance. The Albert Hall was built by J.T. Farmils, to a design by John Duncan. The hall contains an organ manufactured by an English firm, Charles Brindley, circa 1859. It has been used for exhibitions, balls, concerts, religious and political rallies, sporting events, and disaster relief during the 1929 flood.
St John's Anglican Church
1835-1938 - St John's Anglican Church, St John Street, Launceston
A remarkable eclectic structure of unfinished design, consisting of a large cruciform parish church of brick, sandstone and concrete, built in three main stages. The oldest section (1825) by David Lambe is a naive adaptation of Georgian Decorated Gothic. The later structure (1901-11 and 1938) chancel transepts and crossing, is a unique mixture of Byzantine and Gothic elements featuring a dominant round window with chacery. The nave (1938) is neo-Gothic with Art Nouveau decoration.
Launceston Town Hall
18-28 St John Street, Launceston. Tas.
A fine example of a late Victorian Italianate Town Hall in original and intact condition. Richly modelled facades and imposing two storey colonnade make this a memorable building and adds character to central Launceston's historic precinct.
Plaque dispaying the city's coat of arms. Note the ironically chained thylacines (Tasmanian tigers - systematically hunted to extinction by humans) on the left and right.
Construction is of stuccoed brick, has parapet with finials concealing roof, and highly decorative entablature. Eastern facade has a giant colonnade of Corinthian columns. Engaged Corinthian columns extend around the other walls. Windows generally are arch topped and prominent ground floor windows are flanked by engaged columns supporting entablatures and pediments over. Lower level panels between columns are imitation ashlar, rusticated.
St John's Priory
Former St John's Priory, 116 St John Street, Launceston
An excellent example of a Victorian Gothic Revival rectory built in 1873. The two storey building was constructed in brick and sandstone. It has high-pitched gabled roofs with secondary hipped gables over windows. Some bargeboards are decorated, and the chimneys are clustered. Windows are of the casement type with chamfered stone heads and sills, and decorative brick relieving arches over. Some window panels are lead glazed, the house sits on a bluestone foundation, and has a wide concave roofed verandah supported by timber columns and decorative brackets.
13 Frederick St, Launceston.
An excellent example of Doric Temple-style church favoured by the Independents (Congregationalists) who like the Baptists traditionally built their chapels in styles of classical derivation, in part to emphasise their nonconformity to the Church of England (which remained faithful to the Gothic style except during the 18th century), and also because classical proportions lent themselves more to preaching than the elongated building inherited by the establishment Church. This fine Greek Revival chapel features a pedimented tetra-style portico in antis, s stuccoed pediment and entablature that are supported on Doric columns. The central panelled door has a bracketed shelf over.
St Andrew's Anglican Church
St Andrews Presbyterian Church, 36 St John Street, Launceston
A fine propertioned stuccoed brick church with well crafted Gothic details and tower on its eastern side supporting a delicate Freestone octagonal spire. The walls are buttressed with angled buttresses on corners. All buttresses topped with pinnacles. Built in 1867, the church is one of the few remaining works of a distinguished Tasmanian architect Henry Clayton.
St John Street, Launceston
This convict built Georgian building was originally the Commissariat Store. In 1860, the Launceston Volunteers were formed. At times, their numbers were less than 25 but at their height reached 100 members. Their presence was particularly important after the withdrawal of British troops in 1870 and the scare of war with Russian in 1878. Launceston's 150-year-old 16th Field Artillery held its last ever parade at the Barracks on 24 November 2012.
34 George Street, Cnr. Cimitiere Streets, Launceston
A fine example of a Victorian Italianate townhouse built in the 1860's, still freestanding and located in the central area of Launceston. It was once used by The Masonic Club. The roof is hipped and concealed by a plain corniced parapet. The building is of brick with a stuccoed facade, with vermiculated quoins at corners and a plain string course between levels. The upper level is plain stucco with windows having moulded surrounds and recessed panels below. The lower level is of imitation rusticated ashlar. Windows have decorative voussoirs and vermiculated keystones. The front door (five panelled) has a simple moulding and bracketed pediment. The northern wing was probably a later addition.
Former Lloyds Hotel
17 - 25 George Street, Cnr. Cimitiere Street, Launceston
Built in the 1880's, The Greenwood Bar (former Lloyd's Hotel) is a fine example of a sophisticated Victorian pub in an Italianate design style. The building, an important townscape element, is of two storey, stuccoed brick construction with a balustered parapet (now without the original finials) and a bracketed cornice. The upper level windows have moulded surrounds, and bracketed shelves and decorative panels over. A heavy cornice divides the two levels. The lower level windows have moulded surrounds, arched tops, decorative keystones and decorated lugsills. The corners of the building are quoined.
86 Brisbane Street
86 Brisbane Street, Launceston
One of the few Art deco style buildings in the city's central business district. This one differs from the others in that it is a double storey shop (the others are multi storey) and features a flat stone-faced front facade with restrained Art Deco motifs on its extremities and in the centre above the centre window and below the flagpole.
57 Brisbane Street, Launceston
1911 - Built with a Victorian era facade, this distinctive Art Deco makeover was applied in the 1930s. The building features a stamped metal ceilings and magnificent dome in the auditorium. It has a series of 13 circular ventilating windows, which swing on pivots, and leaded glass, behind which are electric lamps. Costing between £14,000 and £15,000 the Princess was built for Mr Marino Lucas, a vaudeville entrepreneur from Hobart. All the work except for the stamped metal ceilings was done in Launceston.
Examiner and Express building
Paterson Street, Launceston
A Federation Freestyle building that was the home of Launceston's Examiner and Express newspapers. It is an excellent example of the style and demonstrated many of its key characteristics. The building is a three storey concrete and exterior brick structure featuring strongly contrasting materials, textures and colours, and a deeply modelled facade with Art Nouveau detailing.
The openings on the first and second floors are double hung sash windows in divisions of three, with single windows to the side towers. "blood and bandage" detailing has been applied to the central, arched entrance, as well as above the tower, and to the verticals either side of the far ground floor window. Other applied decoration includes a band between ground and first floor levels with Art Nouveau lettering reading "Examiner and Express", and "Estd. 1842" on the central feature.
Bank of Australasia Building
1885 - ANZ Bank building, 111 Brisbane Street (Cnr St John Street), Launceston
The architects were Reed, Henderson and Smart from London who created this high Victorian design in a manner very similar to the office of the new ANZ bank in Threadneedle Street, London. It is a fine Mannerist two storey corner building and a good example of late 19th century stucco work. The upper level finishes in a solid parapet and is divided into panels by single and paired, engaged Corinthian columns. Windows have flat arched tops with decorative keystones and iron balustraded. The lower level has very decorative stucco work and engaged rusticated columns. Windows flat topped with rounded corners. Double front doors in splayed corner with studded rails and raised panels.
Henty House stands as a rare example of Brutalist architecture in Tasmania that, when built, centralised public services that were once spread all over the city. Brutalist is a stark style of functionalist architecture, especially of the 1950s and 1960s, characterized by the use of steel and concrete in massive blocks. Australia's least loved architectural style, first generation Brutalist buildings are often regarded by the general public as ugly, concrete monstrosities and are being lined up across Australia for demolition or major change to their appearance. Brutalist architecture went out of fashion in the mid 1980s due to its unpopularity.
Henty House and associated Civic Square have received Heritage Listing, but not without a major battle with locals, including the City Council, who objected to giving such an "ugly" building heritage protection. The debate centres on whether it is an appropriate building in a city dominated by Georgian and Victorian architecture.
Launceston Fire Station
Paterson Street, Launceston, Tas. 1910 - the building's art deco facade was constructed during a major upgrade in 1938, but was itself replaced in the 1950s. In the early 1990s, the 1950s façade was removed to reveal the 1938 works still intact. Of particular interest in the mess room is the art deco fireplace, internal joinery (including picture rails), honour board and caneite ceiling. The original ceiling in the main engine garage still displays the large wooden beams with herring-bone bracing between exposed floor joints.
Esk Brewery Oast House
William Street, Launceston
The Esk Brewery was established in 1881, and was purchased in 1883 by James Boag and his son. According to the 1900 edition of the Cyclopedia of Tasmania, fame came quickly, their beer being generally admitted to be infinitely superior to anything produced in Australia (sic). After his father retired in 1887, James the younger managed the firm, and lived on the site. If you walk around the block you will see the old oast house, where the hops were dried, and many other buildings that date from this period. Brewery tours are available.
Seaport Boulevard, Launceston
The substantial customs house was built in 1885. Its size is indicative of Launceston's importance as a port at the time. The ore from the rich tin mine at Mt Bischoff was processed in the town, plus Launceston supplied the mine fields on the west coast. Trade flourished, and the customs duties contributed to a booming Tasmanian economy.
Sadly, today the wharves which were contiguous with this building are gone and a very necessary levee bank visually divorces the building from its immediate riverside setting. This building once housed what was thought to be the most important of government functions and currently contains the offices for Customs and Border Protection in Launceston.
Tasmanian Flour Mills
Cnr The Esplanade and Shields Street, Launceston
The old store fronting the Esplanade, built in the mid 1800s, was purchased by Thomas Monds as a store for his Carrick flour mill. He had the four storey mill built next to the stores. In 1918 Monds amalgamated with Thomas Affleck, owner of the Crown Mill in Cameron Street, to become Monds and Affleck.
The heritage-listed Ritchies Mill complex commands one of the best views in Launceston. Known originally as the Cataract Mill, because of its location near the entrance to Cataract Gorge, milling began on the site in 1833 when Andrew Sibbald and Thomas Ferguson built their mill here. The mill was sold to David Ritchie in 1876 by tennant miller John Toan who had occupied the premises for sixteen years.
The Ritchie milling dynasty began with Thomas Ritchie, who by 1834 had built a flourmill at Scone, near Perth. Sons Thomas, John and George were involved with milling in Longford, but it was David who turned Scone Mill into one of the leading mills in Tasmania, producing high standard flour as well as most of Tasmania's oatmeal. Following the 1870 loss of the mill to fire, he moved into Launceston, buying the Cataract Mill in 1876. Ritchie was the first Tasmanian miller, in April 1889, to convert from stones to a complete roller mill, and in 1910 D. Ritchie and Son built Tasmania's first concrete grain silos. The comparatively small mill continued operating until bought by Monds & Affleck in 1973 and closed.
Until 1857 the business was considered Launceston s El Dorado as it was also the town s main source of water. The reinforced concrete silos designed by Alexander North in 1910 were revolutionary for Tasmania and remain a Launceston landmark. The Mill is now home to Stillwater, Afe, Restaurant and Wine Bar.
Completed in 1864 this beautiful wrought iron arch bridge with a span of 60 metres was designed by Engineer William Thoma Doyne. It was fabricated in Manchester, England, and transported to Launceston, assembled on a pontoon, floated into position then lowered on to its abutments on the receding tide. The bridge provided a vital link with the West Tamar Region. The duplicate adjacent span, fabricated by Salisbury's foundry in Launceston, was similarly erected and floated into position in 1904.
William Doyne was trained in civil engineering in England on the London South Western Railway and later worked on the construction of a railway near Hamburg in Germany. He continued his railway career as Manager and Engineer for the Rugby and Leamington spa Railway in England. For this railway he designed and built a wrought iron lattice bridge about which he presented two prize- winning papers to the Institution of Civil Engineers.
While the dual-carriageway West Tamar Highway now bypasses Kings Bridge on a modern concrete structure, Kings Bridge remains in service providing direct access to the suburb of Trevallyn.
Inveresk Railyards Roundhouse
1999 - The Roundhouse is a new steel structure built on the site of the long demolished steam locomotive shed at the lnveresk Railyards workshop in Launceston. Because of their central circular turntable, these loco sheds were traditionally annulus shaped buildings, with their ridge to the external outer wall. The railyards have been recycled as part of a Better Cities initiative into a variety of new uses with the Roundhouse site becoming the new home for the Launceston Show. It was decided by the management authority not to try to replicate the former shed with its massive timber post and beam structure but instead to develop a lighter and more visually playful structure, which more appropriately expressed its new use as a covered market sheltering stalls and displays and a showground pavilion, and-as well, have the interior space so formed kept free of columns. The structure is combination of curved steel vaulted forms and suspended tensioning cables designed by Jim Gandy. Architect: Morris-Nunn and Associates.
181 St John Street, Launceston
A fine example of a large two storey Georgian house with a single storey north wing. Built in the 1840's by or for Philip Oakden, the design employs simple detailing. The main house has a hipped roof with projecting eaves and simple corbelled chimneys. The facade has three bays, and 12 pane windows with moulded surrounds and decorative keystones. The central front door has six panels, with side lights and large radiating fanlight over. The northern wing has a hipped roof and close eaves, 12 pane windows and stone lintels and sills.
26 Elizabeth Street, Launceston
A fine symmetrical two storey Georgian townhouse with Classical influences. Built of brick and stucco, with stone quoins, it features a main hipped roof, a central front door and five 16 pane windows above, four below. The entrance portico has entablature and cornice supported on paired columns.
150 George Street, Launceston
An early Colonial cottage, originally used as a chapel. It is a small symmetrical brick Georgian cottage with a hipped roof, projecting eaves, central entrance and single side windows. The front door is six panelled with a naive surround and simple radial fanlight. Windows are 24 paned with brick lintels.
148 St John Street, Launceston
A single storey stuccoed Victorian Georgian/Regency terrace featuring arched windows and gables. There is a projecting gable section with an recessed entry door on one side and a window on the other. The windows are 12 paned with brick lintels.
15 Maitland Street, Launceston
1863 - typical expression of the Gothic Revival style in a Victorian era double storey home. It features decorated barge boards, high chimneys and a higth pitched roof.
180 St John Street, Launceston
A modest Queen Anne style home built around the turn of the 20th century. It features tall brick chimneys, a corrugated iron roof, a rectangular bay window on the left side and a verandah on the right finished with an Arts & Crafts style frieze.
42 Balfour Street, Launceston
A well proportioned pair of semi-detached brick cottages in the Queen Anne style. The entry porches share a common wall; each home has an elaborate rectangular bay window facing the street which is topped by endboards which give the appearance of triangular pediments.
193 George Street, Launceston
A double storey brick townhouse, built during the Victorian era. It is unusual in that its design incorporates features from a variety of popular architectural styles of its era, such as the suggested Italianate tower on the corner, Gothic bargeboards but an overall style that suggests Queen Anne.
168 St John Street, Launceston
A large, double storey symmetrical stuccoed brick Regency home with a tiled hipped roof (originally slate), central entrance with portico. The front door is six panelled with a naive surround and simple radial fanlight. Windows are 12 paned with brick lintels.
173 St John Street, Launceston
The land on which this house stands was originally granted to L.W. Gilles in the 1830s. It was bought by Charles Edward Button in 1869 who soon after built this good example of a mid-Victorian two storey townhouse. The well proportioned building is characterised by Georgian restraint but has Victorian detail and complements its older neighbours, and with them produces a fine streetscape. Built of brick with a stuccoed facade and rubble foundation, its features a heavily moulded parapet concealing the roof, and moulded window surrounds and panels below, at first floor level. Windows have four panes and decorative metal hoods. The side entrance has heavily moulded entablature on engaged Corinthian columns. Half-round transom light, with decorative keystone, over front door.
175 St John Street, Launceston
Built around 1850 by its original owner, Miss Hannah Waddell, this double storey home is an early, good example of a stuccoed brick townhouse of the Georgian/Victorian transitional period. It has hipped roof with projecting eaves at front, and close eaves on the southern wing. The windows are 12 pane double hung sash with lug sills. There is a narrow eight pane window at the upper level over the front door, which has a segmental fanlight and quarter round Doric columns at its sides. Decorative stucco work on the southern wing of the house was probably added later.
14 St Andrews Street, Launceston
1881 - Edenholme Grange is a grand Victorian mansion, named after a three-masted barque that plied from the Port of Launceston. The vessel unfortunately came to grief on Hebe Reef at the mouth of the Tamar River. Originally built in 1881 by a sea captain, its current owners have restored and brought the property back to life to offer 8 bedrooms in the main house as well as 3 separate fully self contained cottages. Featuring gracious formal living and dining rooms and beautifully decorated suites. It is currently utilised as a Bed and Breakfast.
96 Entally Road, Hadspen
A fine Colonial house and outbuildings established in 1819 by Thomas Reiby whose son was the Hon. Thomas Reiby at one time archdeacon of the Anglican Church, later a politician. The house and its early owners had curious interests of race horses, politics and religion which are represented in the buildings at Entally.Sited at the junction of the Meander and South Esk Rivers, the estate has been skilfully enhanced by fine landscaping. Entally House is open for public inspection.
13 Claremont Street, East Launceston
1881 - Originally a Georgian house (single storey with verandah and series of French windows) which was added to dramatically at the turn of the century. Its Federation period additions by J and T Gunn, who were at the time Launceston's master builders and craftsmen, dramatically enhanced the property. The 6.2ha of magnificent gardens are still as they were in 1859 with kitchen garden with hedge borders, lean to glass house, sweeping drive up to central lawn with fountain.
74 Elphin Rd, East Launceston (Scotch Oakburn College)
1824 - An outstanding example of a Federation style mansion, Lemana is a single storey Federation period house constructed by J and T Gunn, a building company with 137 years of majestic and skillful craftsmanship. Gunns created many of the buildings that define Launceston's built history. It is constructed of brick with tiled hipped roof, with an octagonal mansard roofed tower above entry and onion dome above circular bay. There is an elaborate timber balustraded verandah enclosing two sides of the house. Inside at the intersection of the corridors there is an octagonal dome with four Italianate niches set into diagonal walls. The centre of the dome being an elegant stained glass dome light.
136-138 Elphin Road, East Launceston
1900 - Fairlawn is significant as a house, complete with contents, in a garden setting, which provides a comprehensive document of domestic and social life of a substantial middle class family in early twentieth century Launceston. The house was built in 1900 when Elphin Road was emerging as Launceston's most desirable suburb. A noteworthy example of the Queen Anne style of architecture, with an elaborate exterior, Fairlawn was the family home of the Suttons, a prominent Launceston family. They built Fairlawn in 1897. Samuel Sutton was mayor of Launceston at the time, and responsible for the International Exhibition at the Albert Hall, and the Duck Reach Power Station. The house also contains a small collection of local memorabilia and artefacts, illustrating contemporary social perceptions of the locality and its historic interest.
33 Trevallyn Road, Launceston
1908 - Werona is one of the most outstanding Federation homes in Launceston with magnificent views of the city, the Tamar river and the Eastern mountains and yet still within walking distance to the CBD. This three story Queen Anne Federation home was built in 1908 features eight large bedrooms with eight bathrooms. The living rooms are amazing with views and all the original features still in place and all beautifully restored. Werona is currently being operated as a Bed and Breakfast.
413-419 Hobart Road
1838-39 - An excellent example of a two storey Regency house built 'on spec' for Britton Jones, an early Launceston brewer and innkeeper in 1838-9. A feature of the building is its scholarly Ionic porch. The house was purchased by the National Trust in 1960, restored and opened to the public in 1961. It is a large, classic Georgian house of brick and stucco. It features a main hipped roof, projecting eaves, 12 pane windows above, 15 pane below. The front facade is stuccoed and has string courses between two levels.