The small village of Legerwood was put on the map in 2005 when Eddie Freeman from Ross sculptured the trees here as a memorial to World War I soldiers with his chainsaw.
On 15th October 1918 a ceremony was held in the railway reserve at Ringarooma Road (later renamed Legerwood). Nine trees were planted to honour soldiers killed in World War 1 who came from the area. The tress grew to a dangerous height and needed to be lopped, leaving the Legerwood community to decide how to preserve the memorial of the soldiers. In an innovative solution, Mr Freeman was asked to carve each of the remaining trunks to represent the men they honoured.
The tree carvings are set in a quaint little public park with excellent public toilet and picnicing facilities, just a short detour off the main highway. There is a plaque giving the history of the men at the base of each tree.
Where Is it?: 95 km from Launceston.
The village of Legerwood was named after Legerwood, a town in Scotland which the explorer James Scott called home. It was established in 1862. The district was opened up to farming in the 1860s
Legerwood railway line, 1986
The 124 km railway from Launceston to Herrick via Legerwood branched off the Bell Bay railway line at Coldwater Creek Junction, 13km north of Launceston. The line reached Branxholm in 1911 and finally Herrick in 1919. It was closed back to Tonganah in 1992, the rails in this section were removed around 1996 and the land returned to the Crown.
The village of Ringarooma, with a population of around 230, is 4.7km away. Surrounded by dairy farming and timber harvesting, Ringarooma is on the edge of the mountains of the North-East, with Mount Victoria and Ben Lomond rising to the south.Ringarooma is located just east of the Ringarooma River and is about 12 km south-west from Derby and 55 km east-north-east from Launceston.
The town is home to one of the North East's oldest churches, now proudly displaying the history of the community's cultural, farming and mining past. A fascinating collection, much enjoyed by genealogists for it's comprehensive history records, it's a glimpse into a past of community, farming, gold and tin.
In the 1860s the Tasmanian Government provided a grant to build a road (it had to be hacked out of the dense forests) from Launceston to Ringarooma. to service the surrounding farming community. The town itself was founded in 1882 when a rural property was subdivided into lots by landowner Christopher Krushka. It was initially known as Krushka Town before being renamed Ringarooma in November 1888, taking on the name of a coastal town near Bridport, which was renamed Boobyalla.
Victoria Hotel, when Alberton was a booming goldmining centre
There are a number of scenic drives in the district. A dirt road leads east the the old gold mining town of Alberton. Gold was obtained at Mount Victoria (NE), Alberton, by Mr R. J. Wilson in a creek named after him in (I883). This goldfield is situated on the western flanks of Mount Victoria, or about half-way down from the summit of that mountain to the banks of the Dorset River. Four promising gold-bearing quartz veins were discovered. At one stage the area was expected to become the richest goldfield in Tasmania, its population reaching over 1000 people. However most of the lodes were worked over short distances to shallow depths of commonly less than 60 metres, with the deepest being at the Ringarooma United mine, which reached a depth of about 119 metres.
Nearby there are excellent views from Mathinna Hill and the road through the Mt Victoria Forest is particularly attractive with many bushwalks (including one to Ralphs Falls) available to the enthusiastic walker. Winding up from Ringarooma, through Mt. Victoria Forest Reserve, the landscape transforms from rolling farmland to rainforest and glimpses of the superb Ringarooma Valley.
Mt Victoria Forest Reserve
The Mount Victoria Forest Reserve that contains Ralphs Falls and Cash Gorge/Falls is about 15 km to the SouthEast of Ringarooma, while the St Columba Falls is a further 10 km away (70 km by road).
At over 90 metres Ralphs Falls is Tasmania s highest single drop waterfall, a streaming ribbon of water plunging over a sheer rock face. Soak up the beauty of the rich, rolling farmland surrounding Ringarooma en route to Mt. Victoria Forest Reserve and Ralph Falls.
From Ralphs Falls picnic area, choose the 20 minute return walk to through a wonderland of moss, ferns and Myrtle forest to Norm's Lookout and the face of Ralphs Falls. At over 90 metres Ralphs Falls is Tasmania s highest single drop waterfall, a streaming ribbon of water plunging over a sheer rock face.
Cash's Gorge and Falls
Cash's Gorge is a beautiful but relaxed walk of approximately 40 minutes on boardwalk through rainforest, stands of tea tree, sphagnum moss and rugged terrain returning to the car park. Cashs Falls is located in Cashs Gorge south east of Ringarooma, and west of Pyengana on New River. The river flows through a very steep gorge making access to the waterfall incredibly difficult. There are no tracks or paths that lead you to Cashs Falls, and any attempt to reach the waterfall will require experience in off track walking in Tasmania, as well as many hours of time. Despite the close proximity to Ralphs Falls, this is a reasonably hard long hike. Start on west side of the Ralphs Falls car park, and follow circuit which returns to east side of car park.
The name recalls Martin Cash, a notorious bushranger who operated in Van Diemen’s Land during the 1840s. He is also well-known for escaping twice from Port Arthur. The first time, he became the first convict to swim across Eaglehawk Neck, a feat that earned him respect from other convicts. He was captured shortly afterwards, though, and returned to Port Arthur. He escaped again on 26 December 1842 with two fellow convicts named George Jones and Lawrence Kavenagh. They managed to cross Eaglehawk Neck without being detected.