Guide to Longford - what to see, where to go and how to get there.
Motor Racing at Longford
The town of Longford is recognised as historic not only for its architectural heritage - but also has motor racing history. The Longford Circuit, a temporary motor racing course laid out on public roads, hosted many races back in its heyday of the 50's and 60's. Its first race meeting was held in 1953. During its 15 years of operation, it established itself as a popular venue with fans and competitors alike. Held over the Labour Day bank holiday weekend at the start of March, the annual race meeting was the biggest event of any kind on the island, attracting huge crowds.
Longford Heritage Walk
Situated in one of Tasmania's greatest pastoral areas, the town of Longford is an agricultural and administrative centre located at the junction of the South Esk and Macqarie Rivers, in a low-lying highly modified landscape. Longford was originally called Latour, after the director of an English syndicate, which obtained extensive grants in the region in 1826. It's grid structure is bent on a central axis, giving interesting views along streets at the town centre, which is tightly designed, with generally harmonious buildings. The relationship of the town centre to the village green is important, as are plantings within the green. This urban space also provides a fine setting for the Christ Church, Old Sunday School and Churchyard.
Country Club Hotel
The Country Club Hotel, 19 Wellington Street, was constructed c. 1850. This large two storey painted brick hotel has a splayed corner with simple facade decorated by a stringcourse, brick lintel windowsills to the 12-pane windows, and a dentil course under the projecting eaves. Back in the days when motor racing was held on the streets of longford, th closest the racing circuit got to the town of Longford was the corner of Wellington and Union Streets - known as Pub Corner - that pub being the Country Club Hotel. The cars came along Union Street and turned right into Wellington Street, around the front of the Hotel. Being right on the racing circuit, the hotel was a popular drinking place among spectators. Today the hotel keeps alive its link with Australian motor racing history with memorabilia and photographs on its walls of races held here and the names of the legends of motor sport who raced here. You can enjoy a meal at the Chequered Flag Bistro.
Thomas Affleck's Mill
Thomas Affleck's Mill in Union Street is a four-storey brick building, still in use as a produce store. Front and back facades each have 16 windows - four on each level - all of four panes, with slightly arched tops and brick lintels. The main facade is divided into four bays by brick pilasters with brick cornices at each floor level.
Berriedale, 44 Wellington Street: an unusual single storey cottage c. 1835 with a central front door with four panels, half sidelights, and a semi-elliptical fanlight. The Georgian homestead style is reflected in the projecting side bay and verandah. The chimneys have single corbells, and the roof is doubly pitched. The cottage has a two-storey addition c.1930s-40s. and a wooden outbuilding. Formerly the Berriedale Inn, it was opened by Peter Clyne in 1843 and purchased by James Hortle in 1850. It was later the home of dr Appleford, and then the home of the Carins family.
52 Wellington Street: Near the village green is an interesting group of barns and warehouses. Richie's Mill is an assemblage of Georgian style brick and stuccoed buildings which are the remnants of a much larger mill complex. The plain two-storey structures have multi-pane windows, hipped roofs, and narrow eaves. Huge timber members are found inside. The complex was one of several mills in the area. The Longford-Cressy-Westbury districts were major suppliers of wheat to the colonies of Port Jackson and Port Phillip and flouring milling became a major industry. Once a steam powered flour mill, the Emerald Mill was established by Thomas Ritchie (1789-1851) and is believed to have been operating as early as 1834.
Christ Church was constructed of sandstone between 1839 and 1844. The lancet windows are set in recessed panels. A large lancet window with tracery dominates the eastern end. The church is completed with a square tower and a gabled roof. The church clock and bell were both gifts from George IV. The Old Sunday School has gabled roof, lancet windows and simple pilasters. The cemetery contains the vaults of the Archer, Brumby and Reibey families. The church was designed by Robert de Little (1808-76), who also designed the Church of England Garmmar School in Launceston. It was built of Midlands freestone at a cost of £7,000. The grounds were laid out by Dr James Appleyard who saught to have every tree named in the Bible represented in the grounds.
Situated opposite the village green and Christ Church are a group of historic commercial structures.
55 Wellington Street
55 Wellington Street: An important two storey corner building of Georgian design built about 1860. A feature of the building, formerly Tattersall's Hotel and now the Longford Library, are the neo-classic moulded surrounds to doorways. The building is a good example of a late Georgian inn and forms part of an important town group. Features include stucco and painted window heads and sills and string course, ground floor entrances with stucco engaged columns, entablatures, cornices and pediments, a blind entrance also with dentil course, double arched top panelled front doors and large old gas lamp over main entrance.
57 Wellington Street
57 Wellington Street is a two-storey brick building with a stuccoed facade, parapet and cornice. A stringcourse separates the two floors. There are two entrances, one with a verandah, the main door being panelled with a transom light, and windows are multi-paned. The building was erected as a dwelling and general store for J.F. Jones.
59 Wellington Street
59 Wellington Street is a two storey red brick Victorian shop and residence featuring projecting eaves with concave decoration on the main facade. The two pane windows have slighly arched tops. A stuccoed stringcourse separates the two levels. Side and transom lights decorate the four panel front door to the dwelling, the shop has a flat cantilever awning. It was built in 1887 by Arthur Whittfield, chemist, who purchased Hatton and Laws' business in 1877 after serving his apprenticeship with them.
61 Wellington Street
61 Wellington Street is a brick two-storey Victorian structure with stuccoed front face, including continuous sills/stringcourse and slightly arched topped windows with moulded surrounds. The awning is of special interest as it extends to the curb line and is supported with fine iron columns. The front door, with leadlights, side and transom lights, is also notable. Erected c. 1880, it was formerly A. Dandison's Drapery Store.
65 Wellington Street
The Chemist shop, 65 Wellington Street, is a two storey painted brick structure featuring a hipped roof partially shielded by a parapet to the front facade. The residence entrance has a four panel door with a transom light. A stuccoed stringcourse divides the two levels and the windows have two panels. It was built as a shop and dwelling in 1877 for William Mason Jr. Harry Conway - architects and builders.
67 Wellington Street
The Longford Municipal Hall, 67 Wellington Street is an impressive two-storey Victorian public building (c. 1880s) with a richly decorated stuccoed facade. The parapet, central pediment, cornice and entablature are supported on full height engaged Corinthian columns and pilasters. The central window of the upper level has a segmental arch with a decorated keystone. The Hall was built by Elizabeth Noake, when owner of the adjoining Queen's Arms, as the Assembly Rooms to take the lace of the Tivoli Theatre which had burnt down. Bought in 1892 by the Forester's Lodge, they later sold it to the Longford Council. Norley Homestead, built in 1836 by Charles Arthur, nephew of Liet. Governor Sir George Arthur, can be viewed from the rear.
The Queen's Arms
The Queen's Arms, 69 Wellington Street, was erected by William Dodery, Jnr. c. 1835. Although the two storey brick and stuccoed Georgian hotel has been significantly altered at street level, two pane windows on the upper level, with moulded surrounds, remain intact. It is believed the hotel opened as The King's Arms and had its name changed some time after Victoria became Queen in 1837.
The Toll House
72 Wellington Street: the earliest public building in the town is the Toll House, built c. 1835. The rough-cast brick building has a hipped roof, projecting eaves, and corner pilasters. Most windows have 12 panes, and a fanlight surmounts the central door. The unusual central corbelled chimney has recessed panels.
Longford Hotel, Cnr Wellington and William Streets: The town has many old inns, some of which have been long used as private dwellings. Such is the case with the former Longford Hotel, built in 1827 by Newman Willat, Launceston's first Postmaster. It was later the Penny Savings Bank, a library and livery stables, a doctor's residence and surgery, and the Temperance Hotel, set up by the Ball brothers who were Welsh miners of strict religious faith. It was known as Jensen Lodge in the mid 1990s. It has now been renovated back to its original form by local rtist Michael McWilliams.
Cnr Wellington and Marlborough Streets: Longford's most visually dominant building because of its shape and location, it was built in the 1830s as the London Hotel and later the Plough Inn. It was at one time a chesmist's dispensary and then a watchmaker's shop. It features a skittle alley at the rear.
87 Wellington Street
87 Wellington Street: built c. 1840s, this house has two projecting bays at each end with a verandah between. The front verandah has turned posts (Tuscan columns) with timber decoration between, a back verandah has been infilled. Most of the windows have 12 panes and the six-panel central front door has an unusual transom light. Outbuildings include a two-storey brick structure and a brick stable.
Ivy Cottage, 90 Wellington Street: an excellent example of a small Georgian-style cottage built c. 1835. The brick structure has a stuccoed front, hipped roof, and rear skillion. The front windows have 20 panes. The five-panel door, not original, has a Regency-style transom light.
Beulah, 103 Wellington Street: Previously known as Iona, a magnificent example of Georgian architecture. It was built in 1835 for Dr Salmon. It became the rectory and was home for the Reverend Alfred Stackhouse and his family. Stackhouse became chaplain at Perth in 1843. In the same year he married Ellen, second daughter of Thomas Archer of Woolmers. The house has large dormer at the rear that was added later. The main facade features a projecting bay window flanked on either side by 15-pane windows. Later additions include a skillion and a porch.
Northbury, 189-191 Wellington Street: fine Victorian Italianate Villa built by Edward Archer in 1862. This two-storey brick and stucco Victorian villa has a three-storey square tower with round and square-head windows in a recessed panel and a single-storey arcaded loggia at the main entrance. There are bay windows and others of four, six and 12-panes. The main structure has a gabled roof, with a two-storey hipped roof section at the rear.
Pinefield, 227 Wellington Street: an unusual and successful combination of both Georgian and Gothic styles. The main section of this house was built in 1827 by Lieut. William Thomas Lyttleton. The front facade is of three bays, with 12- and 24-pane windows, and a four-panel door with transom light. The single storey Gothic wing (with attics) features lancet windows, french windows, and transverse gables with decorative bargeboards. Pinefield, originally called Ardmore, was built in 1827 by W Thomas Lyttleton. In 1829, he offered the house to the Church of England. In c. 1830, the rear wing, containing the clergyman's study, large kitchen and several other rooms was added by the Rev Robert Rowland Davies.
3 Marlborough Street
3 Marlborough Street: a rendered brick building butting onto and probably dating from the same period as 1 Marlborough Street, with similar chimney pots. Dating from 1830, it was once occupied by James oliver, tinsmith and veteran of the Crimean and Indian Mutiny Wars.
Commercial Bank of Tasmania building
6 Marlborough Street: the brick on stone cement rendered former Commercial Bank of Tasmania building in Marlborough Street was built in the 1870s by Humphries and Roe who also built the Post Office opposite.
9 Marlborough Street
9 Marlborough Street: an early commercial structure, this brick terrace is a fine, scarce example of a vernacular commercial building, dating from the 1850s. It was formerly a sweet factory and cake shop on the left, Hatton and Laws Dispensary in the centre and a dwelling a dwelling on the right. A parapet, with recessed panels over the round head entrances, partially shields the hipped roof. The large shopfront windows have simple timber casings, while the doors have radial fanlights. An attached wing and shed have gabled roof, four pane windows and brick lintels.
16 Marlbough Street: Named after the famous battle a major battle of the War of the Spanish Succession, the Blenheim Hotel in Marlborough Street (the street was named afer the Duke of Marlborough who won the battle) was built in 1846, and was previously one of the finest hotels in the district. The brick and stucco building has 12-pane windows with rubble brick lintels. The central bay projects slightly and a flat awning has been added. The roof is hipped, with narrow eaves and dentil course.
Primitive Methodist Manse
Primitive Methodist Manse, 28 Marlborough Street: dating from 1845, it is now a private residence named Anton House. Primitive Methodism was a major religious movement in Britain from about 1810 until the founding of the Methodist Union in 1932. The word 'manse' is used to describe the clergy's residence.
The CWA Hall (former Druids Hall) on the corner of Marlborough and High Street is a typical small Victorian hall. The single storey brick and stuccoed structure (1870) has round-head openings, decorated keystones, projecting cornice with parapet, urns and central entablature. It was built by Rechabites and was originally known as The Templar's Hall.
former Racecourse Inn
The former Racecourse Inn, 114 Marlborough Street, cnr Bulwer Street: a two story brick Georgian inn. Itfeatures 4 dormers, 12-pane windows, and plain brick pilasters and freizes. There are two entrances to the front, one door of four panels and transom light, plus a pair of half-glazed doors with four-pane transom lights. The gabled roof has decorative bargeboards.
70 Marlborough Street
70 Marlborough Street: this two-storey house is a good example of a Georgian cottage, complemented by a white picket front fence. This single-storey brick and stucco structure has a hipped roof with narrow eaves, and a skillion at the rear. The house still retains the original bread oven. The front door, of six panels, is flanked by 12-pane windows.
Former 'Lass O'Gowrie Inn', 14 Lyttleton Street: formerly the Lass O'Gowrie Hotel, built in 1846 and kept by Alex Suter. Now a private residence, it has also been a girls school run by the Misses Boyd.
The Old School House
The Old School House, 21 William Street: a significant as a transitional building from Georgian to Victorian styles. The two storey brick house features a stuccoed porch in imitation of rusticated ashlar with a wide arched opening, stringcourse and cornice. The six bays of the main facade contain four-pane windows.
The Uniting Church, 2 High Street: formerly the Primitive Methodist Church, it was built by Thomas Humphrey. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Edward Archer of 'Northbury' in 1879.
Noake's Cottages, Latour Street: are a traditional group of Victorian brick cottages built by the Noakes family for elderly spinsters. Isaac Noake built a three storey brewery on the banks of the Macquarie River near the end of Lyttleton Street in 1857. He conveyed his products across the river by his own barge to avoid paying a toll on the King's Bridge. The site was later where the Christ Church rectory stood, and is now a private residence named 'Noake', commemorating its history.
Kilgour, 4 Archer Street: thought to have been built in the mid to late 1830s evolving from an earlier cottage or building built on the site around circa 1820. The original Lang grant was made in 1814 to William Woodard who had relocated from Norfolk Island. The house has been added to the Tasmania State Heritage Register. The house is an archetypal single-storey colonial Georgian-style bungalow, with impressive Regency wooden fretwork wrapped around three side of the veranda. It follows the standard Colonial Georgian plan: a central hall, with rooms of on either side. Originally being a parlour, dining room, sitting room and bedroom. Upstairs there are a further two bedrooms and a box room. Over the years the house has been extended and now incorporates the original house and an extension added in the late 19th century as a billards room. There is also extensive cellaring under the hall and parlour.
St Augustine's Roman Catholic Church
St Augustine's Roman Catholic Church, 24 Goderich St, Longford: built of bluestone in 1864 by Father John Butler. The bell and befry were aded in 1897. Father McKernan, who came in 1873, added the organ and choir loft.
Bellamona, 2 Pakenham Street: built c. 1850. Set behind a picket fence, the brick and stucco cottage has a central door of six panels with trnasom light, flanked with 12-pane windows. The later timber verandah is embellished with cast-iron brackets and trim.
Old Norley, 4 Lyttleton Street: built in 1838 by Charles Arthur (nephew and private secretary to Lt-Governor Arthur). This single-storey brick and stucco Georgian house has a verandah embracing three sides. The windows have 12-panes and shutters, the central door has six panels; half sidelights and radial fanlight. Extensive outbuildings and gardens form a rear courtyard.
The Old Methodist (Wesleyan) Chapel and Sunday School in Wellington Street is now restored as a private residence. The land for the first chapel was donated by Joseph Heazelwood and his wide, who laid the foundation stone in 1836.
Mountford Homestead: situated on the Perth Road two km fron Longford, this well sited two storey Georgian stucco house was probably built in the 1830s by George Palmer Bell, with later alterations. The south face, once three bays, has a fourth bay added to the east end; iron work of a demolished verandah supports a porch to this facade. The north facade has a single storey iron verandah. A large yard is enclosed by a single-storey service wing, two storey coach house and stables and high connecting walls. Other outbuildings comprise shearing shed, another timber shed, cottage, and four level brick barn.
Longford House Estate
Longford House and Barn, Catherine Street: built C. 1834, Longford House is known as one of Tasmania's finest colonial homes. It comprises the main house, and an unusual iron frame demountable barn imported from Britain, and is presently on its third site. The two-storey brick and stucco house (c. 1839), probably built by Joseph Solomon, has a four-panel door with transom light, enhanced by a Doric portico. A curved wall with arches shields an earlier single-storey brick house. Longford is significant for it unusual assemblage of structures.
Brickendon Estate, RA 236 Wellington St, Longford: William Archer started his estate Brickendon shortly after Thomas in 1824 when his first cottage house was built. The main homestead, the delightfully proportioned two storey Georgian style residence with a pretty portico with iron pillars was built in 1829 when he married. The iron trellis portico was designed by architect nephew Thomas Archer of Woolmers and imported from England in 1857. Around the house William Archer planted hazelnuts, quinces, chestnuts, pears and medlars. Around his 30 acre paddocks he planted English Hawthorn hedges and Brickendon still has 30 kilometres of hawthorn hedge.
The property depended heavily on assigned convicts and by 1830 around 40 convicts, including female house servants, lived on the property. Brickendon is a good example of a pioneering estate with workers cottages from the 1830s, Georgian style stables, a weatherboard grain store and Dutch barns from the 1820s, a smoke house 1831, even fancy poultry sheds from the 1830s, and a woolshed, chapel and blacksmith shop. Brickendon is a complete village. Today the property still retains the original 1,000 acre land grant but the estate is tiny compared to its heyday. Members of the Archer family (the seventh generation) still run the property which grows poppies for medicines, merino wool and vegetables.
Brickendon Garden was established by William Archer in 1831 as a setting for an impressive Georgian residence. The approach to the homestead is through an avenue of elms and hawthorn, terminating at an elliptical shaped carriageway in front of the house. The front garden is laid out around a central sundial, with an axial view from the main entrance. Either side of the central axis are shrubberies and woodlands, noted for their array of native, and exotic broad leaf and conifer trees. At the rear of the house is a courtyard. The garden has later period overlays of planting which contribute to the variety of species. Later features include the metal gates.