Origin of Place Names: Coastal Features



Cape Bicheno to Port Sorell


Legend: the information under each name indictes when the geographical feature received its present name, who named it and why, or after who, it was named. Where a name was given by an explorer, more details on that explorer, including details of their exploration, is available at: Our Tasmania: Coastal Exploration >

Cape Bicheno
Named Cape Degerando by Baudin, 22.2.1802, after Baron Marie Joseph De Gerando (1772-1842), French philosopher. Degerando was member of the committee which organised Baudin's expedition. Named after James Ebenezer Bicheno who was born in 1876, the son of a Baptist minister, at Newberry, County of Berkshire, England. In 1843 he was sent out by the Home Government to take up the position of Colonial Secretary of Van Diemen’s Land. Bicheno was a cultured man, Fellow of the Royal Society, of the Linnacan Society, and of the Geological Society of England. He was a genial, portly figure, fond of good living and good company, with a taste for music and the arts, he was widely popular.



Waubs Harbour
The name “Waubs” is an abbreviation of “Waubedebar”, a female aborigine whose grave is located at the back of the Lions Park, near the Silver Sands Hotel. The headstone reads “Here lies - Waubedebar a female aborigine of Van Diemen’s land, died June 1832, aged 40 years.” It seems that she was a sealer’s woman and that she died in a boat off the coast whilst travelling towards the Furneaux Group and her body was brought ashore and buried. John Allen, an early settler, in his note book, dated 24th June 1840, mentions “Waubs Harbour”. Sufficient was thought of her memory for the local settlers in 1855 to contribute funds to erect a headstone.



MacLean Bay
Said to be nsamed after 'Black Joe', a native of Hawaii stationed for some time on Maria Island who accompanied G A Robinson as his convict servant.



Long Pt
Decriptive.



Wardlaws Point
Alan Lindsay Wardlaw (1887-1938), an early resident in the area.



Piccaninny Pt
Believed to be of biolotanical origin.



Burial Point
Originally known as "Burying Point". So named because three shipwrecked sailors were buried here after having been mistakenly shot in the belief that they were escaped convicts and/or bushrangers St Patricks Head
17.3.1773. Furneaux. Discovered on St Patrick's Day.



Mariposa Point / Mariposa Beach
The first recorded landing in the area was 25/1/1816, when Captain James Kelly hauled his whale boat up on Mariposa Beach for the night to shelter from squally westerly winds and rain.



Henderson Point / Henderson Lagoon, Falmouth
Named after Dr Henderson, who had the property 'Huckamabad', now known as 'Glencoe', before returning to India.



Scamander River
Probably named by Frankland possibly after the river near Troy, Turkey. Appears to be what is shown as River Borthwick on sketch in Ross' Almanac 1830. Scamander taken from Greek mythology. Scamander was the god of the river with the same name, near Troy. He was the father of Teucer and participated in the Trojan War.



Wrinklers Lagoon / Wrinklers Beach
Believed to be named after an early family.



Dianas Basin / Dianas Lagoon



Maurouard Beach/ Cape Maurouard
Named in 1802 after the cadet in the French Expedition of Baudin.



Henderson Lagoon
Named after Dr Henderson, who had the property 'Huckamabad', now known as 'Glencoe', before returning to India.



St Helens Pt / St Helens Isld
17.3.1773. Furneaux. Believed to be taken from St Helen's, an uninhabited island in the Isles of Scilly. These islands, which form an archipelago off the south-westernmost tip of the United Kingdom, are near Furneauz's birthplace, Swilly.



Georges Bay
Recalls George Augustus Robinson, who, in the 1830s on a 'friendly mission', persuaded the few remaining aborigines in the region to abandon their east coast heritage and follow him, ultimately to their demise.



Humbug Point
Said to have been named by J H Wedge because of the great difficulty experienced in gathering stock there. He lost many sheep and lambs there owing to the depredations of tigers. Shown on early maps as Point Puzzle.



Clerk Point
Well known locally as Fletchers Point.



Burns Point
named from a resident, Robby Burns.



Grant Pt
Named after James Grant, explorer.



Binalong Bay
Aboriginal name for the area, said to mean 'towards the top'.



Skeleton Bay
Named because of the skeleton of Large Whale at head of bay.



Bay of Fires
18.3.1773. Furneaux. Many fires seen along this shore.



Swimcart Beach
One hundred and twenty fish were caught by 225 competitors at the annual Tasmanian Fishing Championships conducted during the week at Swimcart Beach, St Helens.



Iarapuna
Named under the Aboriginal and Dual Naming Policy in palawa kani, using lower case spelling. Aboriginal named Unbounded Locality in the vicinity of the Bay of Fires. Refer to the whole of the Bay of Fires area which extends roughly from Eddystone Point to Grants Point, and including the water of the Bay of Fires between the two points, and adjacent lands with boundaries undefined.



Taylors Beach
Recalls a local resident. Formerly known as Big Lagoon Beach.



Honeymoon Point
Not known.



Margerys Point
Named after the late Margery Emma Bailey, The Gardens.



Scotsman's Creek
Named after an early resident, Edgar Bailey, a Scotmman.



Coffeys Gulch
Recalls an early resident.



Mateys Gulch
No information found.



Gardens Lagoon / Gardens Lagoon Beach




Break Yoke Beach / Break Yoke Rocks
No information found.



Ansons Bay
5.3.1788. Ball. Named after George Anson (1697-1762). British admiral, entered the navy in February 1712 and became lieutenant in 1716, commander in 1722 and post-captain in 1724. In 1737, he was appointed to the Centurion which, as flagship of a fleet of six ships, was sent out ill-equipped to attack the Spanish possessions in South America. After losing 5 ships by successive disasters, he circumnavigated the world in the course of eight years, capturing underway at Cape Espiritu Santo the Nuestra Señora de Covadonga. By the world at large, he is known as the commander of this voyage. In 1745, he was invited to join the Admiralty with the rank of rear-admiral of the white. In 1751, he became first Lord of the Admiralty.



Policemans Point
A police constable once has a shack here. Previously known as Barway Point.



Bayley Rock
No infotmation found.



Buckpitt Gulch
Recalls E W Buckpitt, previously of King Island, was the first Head Lightkeeper from the opening of the Eddystone Point Lighthouse on 1/5/1889, he was there for at least 7 years. Former known only ad Thr Gulch.



Picnic Corner / Picnic Point
A place where the lighthouse keeper, E W Buckpitt, went for picnics.



Eddystone Point
18.3.1773. Furneaux. Resembled a lighthouse, which reminded Furneaux of eddystone Lighthouse in England. Named Fleurieu Pt by Baudin, 28.2.1802, after Charles Claret de Fleurieu (1689-1755), French philosopher and publisher.



Purdon Bay
Named after ketch 'E H Purdon', Captain Tom Jamison, used to anchor in bay.



Cod Bay
No information found.



Boulder Point
Descriptive.



Stumpys Bay
Jack 'Stumpy' Johnstone, an old fisherman.



Cape Naturaliste
28.2.1802, Baudin. Named after the expedition corvette, Naturaliste.



Musselroe Bay
16.3.1773. Furneaux. possibly because mussels were found here.



Swan Isld
1799. Flinders. Possibly because swans were seen here.



Banks Strait
Named after botanist Sir Joseph Banks.



Clarke Isld
William Clarke was one of the three survivors of the longboat from the Sydney Cove, after she sank off Preservation Island, and the longboat set off for Sydney to raise the alarm.



Moriarty Pt / Moriarty Bay
Captain William Moriarty (1792 -1850). His sister, Ellen, who came from Ireland in 1830, founded Latrobe, helped found Westbury



Lookout Heads
9.3.1773. Furneaux. Used as a lookout.



Admiralty Channel
9.3.1773. Furneaux. Named after The British Admiralty, Furneaux's employer.



Cape Barren Island
9.3.1773. Furneaux. The island upon which Cape Barren was located.



Harley Pt, Cape Barren Island
Charles Harley who purchased land opposite Puncheon Island off north-eastern Cape Barren Island, 1868.



Cape Barren, Cape Barren Island
9.3.1773. Furneaux. It appearance.



Cone Pt,Cape Barren Island
9.3.1773. Furneaux. It appearance.



Passage Isld
9.3.1773. Furneaux. its location in a passage.



Preservation Isld
Known as waytakupana to the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre.



Forsythe Isld



Anderson Islds
Islands in Bass Strait known as Tayaritja to the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre.



Vansittart Isld
8.1.1799. Flinders. Named after Nicholas Vansittart, 1st Baron Bexley (1766-1851). British politician. He entered Parliament in 1796, was joint secretary of the treasury (1801-4, 1806-7) and briefly secretary for Ireland (1805), and in 1812 he became chancellor of the exchequer under the 2d earl of Liverpool. He held office for 11 years, dealing with the problems of economic adjustment that followed the end of the Napoleonic Wars. A loyal follower of Viscount Sidmouth, he resigned (1823) not long after Sidmouth. He was raised to the peerage in 1823 and remained in the cabinet as chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster until 1828. Badger Isld From nearby Badger Creek, named by James Holt.



Chappell Isld
8.1.1799. Flinders. Named after Flinders' then-bride to be, Anne Chappelle.



Franklin Sound
Named after Sir John Franklin (1786-1847, Lieut. Governor of Tasmania. Midshipman on Investigator, English Rear-Admiral and explorer, was born at Spilsby, Lincolnshire, in a line of free-holders or "franklins" from whom they had derived their surname long before. As 5th and youngest son of nine children, he was destined for the church. However, he desired at an early age to be a sailor and overcame his father's resistance. At the age of 15, he took part in the battle of Copenhagen on board the Polyphemus. Two months later, he joined the Investigator and became Flinders' most adept student. After the end of the war with France, he turned to science and exploration on land and at sea. Between 1836 and the end of 1843, he was Lieutenant-Governor of Tasmania. His final task was the North-West Passage to the Pacific. The expedition embarked on Erebus and Terror on 19.05.1845 with 129 officers and men. It disappeared soon afterwards in the arctic waters and the search for it became one of the most taxing tasks of arctic exploration during the Ninteenth Century.



Furneaux Group
9.3.1773. Furneaux. Its discoverer and expedition leader, Tobias Furneaux.



Flinders Isld
8.1.1799. Flinders. Named after Samuel Flinders, 2nd Lieut., Investigator. He was Matthew Flinders' younger brother.



Rum Island, Flinders Isld



Laccota Isld, Flinders Isld



Trousers Pt, Flinders Isld



Kangaroo Isld, Flinders Isld



Long Pt, Flinders Isld
9.3.1773. Furneaux. Its shape.



Arthur Bay, Flinders Isld
Named after Col. George Arthur, Lieut. Governor of Tasmania, 1824-36.



Hummock Isld, Flinders Isld
9.3.1773. Furneaux. Its shape.



Settlement Pt, Flinders Isld



Marshall Bay, Flinders Isld



South Pasco Isld / Middle Pasco Isld / North Pasco Island Commander Fredrick C C Pasco of HMS 'Dart'




Cape Frankland, Flinders Isld
Recalls George Frankland (1800–38), who was the Surveyor General in Van Diemen's Land, 1826-38.



Warrigo Rock, Flinders Isld



Pyramid Rock, Flinders Isld
Its shape.



Wakitipu Rock, Flinders Isld



Craggy Isld / Craggy Rock, Flinders Isld
Descriptive.



Beagle Rock, Flinders Isld
Nov.1838. Wickham. expedition vessel, Beagle.



Wright Rock, Flinders Isld



Endeavour Reef, Flinders Isld
Possibly named after Cook's vessel for his second voyage of discovery, HMS Endeavour. Captain Cook and William Bligh visited the area in March 1776 on James Cook's third and final voyage of discovery in the Resolution and Discovery.



Sentinel Isld, Flinders Isld



Killiecrankie Bay, Flinders Isld
Has been recorded as being of Aboriginal origin, however this appears unlikely as it has the identical spelling of the Gaelic word for “aspen wood”. Scotland's Killiecrankie is a very narrow and steeply sided mountain pass between Blair Atholl and Pitlochry, in Perthshire. The bay takes its name from a nearby mountain that has that name. 'Killiecrankie' and 'Ben Nevis' are to be found on an 1831 map of Flinders Island, by surveyor George Woodward.



Bligh Pt, Flinders Isld
Captain William Bligh who visited the area in March 1776 on James Cook's third and final voyage of discovery in the Resolution and Discovery.



North Pt, Flinders Isld



Sister Islands (East and West)
19.3.1773. Furneaux. Two similar islands.



Babel Isld, Flinders Isld
9.12.1798. Flinders. the noise of many birds heard here.



Cat Isld, Flinders Isld Matthew Flinders in 1798 named Babel Island a big nesting colony even today, from the babel of birds sounds he heard from nesting mutton birds. Actually the name he gave was Babel Isles which embraced adjacent Cat Island, then notable for the noise emanating from thousand of nesting gannets



Cameron inlet, Flinders Isld



Hogan Group / Hogan Isld
8.2.1798. Flinders. Island Group including Hogan Island, Twin Islets, Long Islet, East Islet, Round Islet and Boundary Islet.

Cutter Rock
8.2.1798. Flinders. Marked on L Freycinet's Chart of 1802/1803, as 'Brisant', meaning Breaker.



Crocodile Rock
8.2.1798. Flinders. Its shape.



Curtis Group
11.12.1800. Grant. Named after Sir Roger Curtis. The islands resembled Lion's Mount at the Cape of Good Hope, where Sir Roger Curtis was commander.



Moncur Island
11.12.1800. Grant. Named after Capt. Moncur RN, an associate of Grant.



Kent Group
8.2.1798. Flinders. Named after Capt. William Kent, Master of HMS Supply.



Judgement Rock / Seat, Kent Group
8.2.1798. Flinders. A rock which looked like an elevated seat.



Cone Pt, Kent Group
11.2.1798. Flinders. Shaped like a rhinoseros horn.



Hamilton Road, Kent Group
11.2.1798. Flinders. Named after Capt, Hamilton whose ship, Sydney Cove, was lost there.



Armstrong Channel, Kent Group
16.2.1798. Flinders. Named after Capt Armstrong, HMS supply, who saved the cargo of the Sydney Cove.



Pt Wombat, Kent Group
16.2.1798. Flinders. Wombats seen there.



Battery Isld, Kent Group
16.2.1798. Flinders. Four projections resembled gun mountings.



Clark Isld, Kent Group
16.2.1798. Flinders. Named after John Clark, of the wrecked ship, Sydney Cove.



Kent Bay, Kent Group
20.2.1798. Flinders. Named after William Kent, master of HMS Supply.



Passage Pt / Passage Isle, Kent Group
20.2.1798. Flinders. A passage located between Cape Barren Island and Clark Island.



Edith Isld, Kent Group



Dover Isld, Kent Group



Deal Isle, Kent Group. Originally referred to as the eastern island by J Lort Stokes refers to it as Et Isd in notes in 1842 but in his book in 1846, page 423, is calling it Deal.



North East Isle Kent Group
11.2.1798. Flinders. Its proximity to the rest of the islands in the group.



South West Isle Kent Group
11.2.1798. Flinders. Its proximity to the rest of the islands in the group.



Cape Portland
1.11.1798. Flinders. Named after William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland, Secretary of State for the Colonies.



Tebrakunna Bay
Aboriginal word for the Cape Portland area.



Foster Isld
Recalls John Foster of Cape Portland.



Ringarooma Bay
Believed to be an Aboiriginal name. This name is said to have been used by the north east tribes to designate eastern parts of Cape Portland, including a bay, a point and offshore islands, 'Ring er roomer' meaning swift water point.



Waterhouse Pt / Waterhouse Isld
1.11.1798. Flinders. Named after Henry Waterhouse, master Relience, who brought the first merino sheep to Australia.



Croppies Pt
Croppies are people who work in fields. A a Constable Cropper was stationed near the Croppies Point area in the 19th Century, which might account for the name of the point.



Anderson Bay
Named after Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Anderson (1790-1877), soldier and penal administrator, of the 50th Regiment. He was commandant of the second convict settlement at Norfolk Island, from March 1834 to February 1839. From 1852 to 1856 Anderson was a member of the first Victorian Legislative Council.



East Sandy Cape
1.11.1798. Flinders. Decriptive.



St Albans Bay
Shown on an early town reserves map (1845).



West Sandy Cape
1.11.1798. Flinders. Descriptive.



Ninth Isld
1.11.1798. Flinders. Ninth rocky island on this coast discovered.



Noland Bay
The bay is situated on the mouth of the Pipers River.



Stony Head
1.11.1798. Flinders. Its appearance.



Five Mile Bluff
Descriptive.



Tenth Isld
2.11.1798. Flinders. Tenth rocky island on this coast discovered.



Maitland Bay
No information found.



Low Head
3.11.1798. Flinders. Being a low sandy projection.



Port Dalrymple
1.11.1798. Flinders. Named after Alexander Dalrymple, hydrographer to the British Navy.



Simmons Mistake
Lieut Symons of the 'Lady Nelson' recorded the name in his journal. It is a reef lying about half a mile south of She-oak point.



Friend Point (br> Possibly named after Lt Friend, RN, who is said to have built 'The Grove' at George Town.



Tamar River
Named by Colonel William Paterson in December 1804 after the River Tamar in South West England, which forms most of the border between Devon (to the east) and Cornwall (to the west). Tasmania's Tamar River marks the border between the early Tasmanian counties of Cornwall (to the east) and Devon (to the west). The Cornish town of Launceston (probounced 'Lansen') is 1.6 km west of the middle stage of the River Tamar. Tasmania's City of Launceston is at the junction of the North Esk and South Esk rivers where they become the Tamar River.



Bell Bay
Named after Major Thomas Bell, C.B. Superintendent of 48th regiment, Acting Engineer and Inspector of Public Works at Hobart Town.



Greens Beach
Fronts on Olive Marguerite Green's property 'Bel Respiro'.



West Head
3.11.1798. Flinders. its location in relation to the entrance to Port Dalrymple.



Badger Head / Beach
Named after a vessel wrecked there.



Copper Cove
A copper mine once existed nearby.



Bakers Beach / Bakers Point
Originally known as Seven Mile Beach. Named after George Baker. Barkers Point has also Deadman Point and as part of Point Flinders, so named by Henry Hellyer, 1826. George Baker is best remembered for harbouring the famous Irish exile John Mitchell. Bakers Point was known as Ashley Point to some in the 1940's and 50's due to the presence of a camp owned by the Ashley Boys Home.



Hawley Beach
Named taken from one of three estates in the Municipality of Latrobe in the early days - Taroona, Hawley and Larooma.



Port Sorell
12.1.1819. King. Named after William Sorell, Lieut Governor, Tasmania.