A suburb/locality within Burnie, Acton is adjoined by Hillcrest, Upper Burnie, Downlands, Shorewell Park, and arguably by Mooreville. There is a local milk bar, an IGA Supermarket, and an Aurora electrical substation. The name is a corruption of the name Atkinson - a family who owned a farm there.
The locality of Brooklyn is adjoined to the north and north-east by South Burnie, to the south-east by Havenview, to the south by Romaine, and to the west by Upper Burnie, all of which Localities are contained within City of Burnie. The name appears to have been first used for a post office here, which opened in August 1963. It closed in 1973.
Situated on Emu Bay at the mouth of the Emu River, Burnie is Tasmania's third largest city and port for the rich agricultural and mineral mining activities of the region. Burnie is a major deepwater port for the north of Tasmania, with two permanent container ships making daily crossings to Melbourne. The name recalls William Burnie, the managing director of the Van Diemen's Land Company when the township was first surveyed in 1843, and a director from 1829 to 1848.
Tocality of Camdale is adjoined to the north by Bass Strait, to the east by Ocean Vista, to the south by East Cam, to the west by Somerset. The name was selected because it is adjacent to the estuary of the Cam River. This part of the V.D.L. Company's Emu Bay Block was marked as Maldon on their charts and maps. In Bailliere's Gazetteer, 1877, it described "Maldon" as follows: "is a small hamlet in the district of Emu Bay". Camdale was gazetted in June 1966.
Probably descriptive, as the creek after which the locality is named does plunge down a small chasm on its way to Bass Strait.
The name was first recorded for Cam Creek. The word is an Aboriginal call in the bush and means 'come to me'. It is likely that the name was selected by an early explorer or European settler after hearing the call by the local Tasmanian Aboriginals as they communicated with each other.
The original of the name is unkown, hoewever a Patrick Crisp's address in the North West Telephone Directory (1979) is given as Downlands. McKenna Park Regional Hockey Complex Inc caters for hockey on astro turf and cricket on grass grounds.
Namedfor its promimity and location to the Cam River.
The origin of the name is unknown, though it obviously refers to its location in relation to Ridgley.
The origin of the name is unknown, though it can surmised that itrefers to the fact that the locality is in the hills that face Emu Bay.
The area was named Hampshire Hills by surveyor Henry Hellyer on his journey was with Richard Frederick Isaac Cutts, from Circular Head to St Valentines Peak and back, in February 1827. Portchester, Hampshire, England, was Hellyer's home town. By the time Hellyer was sent to lay out a road from Emu Bay to the Hampshire Hills, Edward Curr, manager of the VDL Co, had also visit to the area, and realized it had few of the qualities which made it suitable for grazing sheep. The name was gazetted 1972, and confirmed in 1974.
The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967. No information found, however it appears to be a marketing name used when the area was subdivided.
Takes its name from Heybridge Creek, which appears to be the stream shown as Ramshorn Creek on Arrowsmith's 1834 Map of Tasmania. The village is located where the Bass Highway crosses the Blythe River, and is bounded by the Blythe River National Park to the south and Bass Strait to the north.
The locality of Highclere is adjoined to the north by Ridgley and East Ridgley, to the north-east virtually by Upper Stowport, to the east by Upper Natone, to the south-east by Hampshire, and to the west by Tewkesbury and West Ridgley, all of which fall within the City of Burnie. The area was named by surveyor Henry Hellyer on his journey was with Richard Frederick Isaac Cutts, from Circular Head to St Valentines Peak and back, in February 1827. It is named after a village and civil parish situated in the North Wessex Downs in the Basingstoke and Deane district of Hampshire, England.
Hillcrest is a suburb of Burnie, named because of its location at the top of the Mount Street hill. The Sampson Street Reserve is 2.3ha of public open space. There is a shopping complex which includes a cafe and takeaway.
Named after the Montello Hills on which it stands. Thought to be named after a well known horse that raced there when the racecourse was situated on top of the hill. Plans for the subdivision by Van Diemen's Land Company were issued in 1949. The Jorgenson Street Reserve takes its name from Jørgen Jørgensen who worked for the Van Diemen's Land Company in the late 1820s. Terrylands was included as part of Montello from 1985.
James Henry Munce (1819-1876) named his farm 'Mooreville' after his parent's estate in England. The suburb was created when his Mooreville farm was subdivided. Born in Dublin, Ireland, he came to Tasmania in the 1840s and within 20 years was Burnie's customs officer, postmaster and a shipping agent. For many years he was the only storekeeper in the Emu Bay district from 1851. He also conducted Protestant funerals when there were no clergy in the area.
Natone is a Tasmanian Aborigibal name meaning 'mountain peak'. Saint Valentine's Peak, which was referred to as Natone by the Tasmsanian Aboriginals, was given its present name by explorer Henry Hellyer on 14/15 February 1827 when he climbed it.
Uunashamedly a marketing name used to sell land when the area was subdivided. Ocean Vista is located on the Bass Strait coast bwtween Cooee and Camdale.
oonah is a Tasmanian Aboriginal word meaning 'platypus'. The name first appeared in the list of Post Stations, Towns etc in 1909 edition of Walch's Almanac.
Taken from the name of the estate when land here was first subdivided and put up for sale.
The name Marylands was originally approved for this suburb, but was changed to Park Grove in 1979/1980. The Burnie Council had requested that the Burnie Suburb of Park Grove be so spelt and not as a single word.
Originally a parish name applied in early 20th Century. First appears as parish in Walch's Almanac 1904. A receiving Office opened 1st September 1926 and soon became Parrawe Post Office - this closed 16th October 1964. The name as a locality first appearsed in Walch's Almanac 1929 edition. The name is of Aboriginal origin, said to mean 'abstain' or 'cease'. This is one of numerous instances across Australia where European explorers encountered local Aboriginals and attempting to learn from them the name for the area. They believed the reply they were given was the place's name, but it was in fact a command to leave.
The name was given by Henry Hellyer during his intitial expolration ofthe area in 1827. The Melba rail line passes through from south to north-east. Stirling was an early name for the area, but the name Ridgley was settled on when Ridgley school was established in 1905.
The locality of Ridgley is adjoined to the north by West Mooreville and Mooreville, to the east by Stowport and East Ridgley, to the south by Highclere, and to the west by West Ridgley, all of which fall within the City of Burnie. The Pet River (including the Pet Reservoir) forms most of the south-eastern and eastern boundaries, and the Guide River forms the western boundary. Pet Reservoir is a 4210 ML dam, was constructed in 1956 as Burnie's main water supply. Surrounded by gently sloping grassy banks with many sheltered shorelines the Pet is a quiet and peaceful desitination limited to foot access only. It is stocked with brown and rainbow trout; boating is prohibited therefore all shore-based angling methods are practised.
The locality of Romaine is adjoined to the north by Brooklyn, to the east by Havenview, to the south-east by Stowport, and to the south and west by Mooreville, all of which fall within the City of Burnie. The name recalls William Romaine, one of the initial 54 tenants who signed up for the new faming tenancy scheme offered by the Van Diemen's Land Company in 1842. He took up a 163 acre 'Forest Farm' on the Emu Bay waterfront inh the area to the east of Bunnings to Massie Greene Drive, and from what is the south-west border of South Burnie today to Emu Bay. Romaine Creek formed part of his western border. After clearing the land of trees, he grew root crops, mainly potatoes.
The Romaine Reserve is 12.69ha of park lands that runs down the eastern side of the suburb, along Romaine Creek. The Reserve contains both remnant and exotic vegetation, with large mountain ashes, white gums, substorey blackwoods and man ferns. The walking tracks link up with Brooklyn Reserve. Romaine Creek is home to Engaeus yabbimunna a freshwater crayfish. The Emu Valley Rhododendron Garden was created in 1981 and is now a tourist attraction.
A location near Chasm Creek, the name is descriptive of what is the highest point in the Burnie region.
Shorewell Park was established in the 1970s as a broadacre social housing area. The residential housing expanded in the 1980s and in 2012 the Tasmanian Government released a plan for the next 20 years.The Hilltop Plaza Shopping Centre provides essential services such as a supermarket, bottle shop, hairdressing salon and pharmacy.
In 1974, when the Housing Department was planning the housing subdivion proposed for Mooreville Road, south of Burnie, it found no historic name had arisen. Burnie Council was then requested to submit a panel of appropriate names from which the Board could make a selection. The Council suggested "Fairmount", the name of the original property of the pioneer Atkinson family. This was rejected as it was too close to "Fairlands", was situated only 8 km away. Council then submitted "Cangort Park" which was the ancestoral home in Ireland of the Atkinson Family. Council agreed to the name, but eventually "Shorewell", from the creek bounding the eastern part of the land, was chosen in March 1976.
The locality became known as South Burnie because of its location in relation to the burnie town centre. Though in use since the 1840s, it was not gazetted until 1966, and confirmed in 1967.
The name was first used for the secular Parish of Stowport in 1856. The township of Stowport was established circa 1900. The name appears to be a corruption of Stew Pot by which name the first mud track was known. It was originally called Stoney's Road because it led to parts of Capt. H Buller Stoney's planned war service settlement scheme at, and south of Wivenhoe. The scheme was abandoned when the Crimea War broke out.
Stoney's Road went from the first crossing of the Emu River, along present day River Road, then up over the hill behind Ormsby Street and into what is now Upper Stowport Road. It gave a shocking grade and was terribly muddy for bullock carts - so much so that it gained the name 'Stew pot' Road, which was corrupted to Stowport, the name eventually given to the district it served. The present road which replaced it went through in the 1890s. The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967.
Named after A.E. Terry who farmed the area. Terrylands was included as part of Montello from 1985.
The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967. It is named after the Tewkesbury Borough in Gloucestershire, England. The Guide River forms part of the eastern boundary, and the Cam River forms the north-western boundary. The Melba rail line follows the south-eastern boundary.
The locality of Upper Burnie is adjoined to the north by Burnie, to the north-east by South Burnie, to the east by Brooklyn and Romaine, to the south by Downlands and to the west by Acton and Hillcrest, all of which fall within the City of Burnie. It is situated on the hill above Burnie accessed via Mount Street. There is a Woolworths Supermarket and the Top of the Town Hotel Motel.
The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967. Natone is a Tasmanian Aborigibal name meaning 'mountain peak'. Saint Valentine's Peak, which was referred to as Natone by the Tasmsanian Aboriginals, was given its present name by explorer Henry Hellyer on 14/15 February 1827 when he climbed it.
The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967.
The name of John Byrne's farm, owned by the Clarke family when the area was subdivided.
No information found.
The name was spelt as West Ridgeley on the County Chart, Lands Nomenclature Register, Post Office Guide and Walch's Red Book. The name was gazetted in 1966, and confirmed in 1967.
Named after the Town (and parish of Wivenhoe) south-east of Colchester in Essex County, England, by Captain Henry Butler Stoney (of Essex) in the 1850's. Wivenhoe, which is thought to mean Wifa's Ridge, is of Saxon origin. It is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wiivnhou. The name was given when Capt. Stoney planned a war service land scheme east of the Emu River for members of the British 99th Regiment.