Westbury



Often described by visitors as a hidden treasure, somewhere that they have stumbled across, Westbury is a pretty English-style village on the Great Western Tiers tourist Route between Devonport and Launceston. A village green, lots of tree-lined streets, old courtyards and stables, elegant old inns and a feast of charming old buildings means a visitor could easily spend a day just wandering around the streets. A classic Georgian village and classified historic town, Westbury was developed as a military garrison and the troops were barracked around what today is the Village Green, reputedly one of the few traditional village greens in Australia. Prisoners were put in stocks on the green.

The scale of the town s original survey was such that it is clear there were plans for Westbury to become a city, but the town never did grow. It is today a town where time has stood still. This quaint 19th century village offers a number of reasons to stop and explore. It has numerous museums, housing collections of agricultural machinery, antique steam engines, vintage cars, 19th century toys and historic furniture. Westbury s Village Green is said to be the only true village green in Australia. In the 1830s with soldiers stationed nearby, it was used for parades and archery competitions amongst other things. The site is now used each year for the St Patricks Day Festival which runs over 3 days in March.

Where Is it?: 16 km east of Deloraine; 214 km north of Hobart; 64 km west of Burnie; 34 km west of Launceston on the Bass Highway.

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Events
The St Patricks Festival is a major annual cultural activity that celebrates the historical links with Westbury and its early Irish community. The Festival celebrates via song and dance as well as a street parade and other family activities.

Westbury Anglican Church Market
Westbury Anglican Church, 11 Lonsdale Promenade, Westbury
Trading: 3rd Saturday of the month  9am  2pm
Type: Bric-a-Brac, Handmade. Phone: (03) 6393 1417


The Big Wickets



Since 2009 Westbury has been known for the big wickets, erected in a park as a memorial to local cricketer, Jack Badcock. Tasmania's first test cricketer and the first Tasmanian to score a century in international cricket, Badcock played test cricket for Australia between 1936 and 1938. Born in Exton near Deloraine, Badcock was the second youngest player for Tasmania in first-class cricket, making his debut in 1929 30 at the age of 15. Opening the batting, he top-scored in each innings for Tasmania against the MCC at Launceston in 1932 33, making 57 and 43 not out.

On the advice of Clarrie Grimmett he moved to Adelaide in June 1934, taking a job as a furniture salesman. In 1934 35, his first season for South Australia, he made 517 runs at 39.76, and in 1935 36 he made 694 at 86.75, including 325 in the last match of the season in an innings victory over Victoria. After making 872 runs at 51.29 with four centuries in 1937 38, Badcock toured England in 1938. He had considerable success in the first-class matches, scoring 1,604 runs at an average of 45.82 with four centuries and finishing as the third most successful batsman of the Australian team on the tour. However, in the four Tests he failed to reach double figures in any innings: an oddity of his Test career is that, having scored the one century in 1936 37, he was never, in 11 Test innings, out in double figures.

Donald Bradman described Badcock as "a lovable and completely unspoiled personality - a great cricketer whose failures in the Tests in England in 1938 detract somewhat from an otherwise splendid record".


The White House



The White House is located at the western end of Lonsdale Promenade. Perhaps the most famous of all the houses in Westbury, the White House stands on land which was granted to Thomas White on 4th November, 1841. White left the building in 1859 and over the next century it was variously a steam flour mill, a bakery, a bus depot and a bicycle hire factory. The property is almost a village in itself, consists of a number of buildings built around the central courtyard. After extensive renovation, the White House was opened to the public in 1971. Its Cycle Display, Vintage Car Museum and wood-fired bakery was a fascinating combination of its past history with a well-preserved 19th century house. The museum has long been closed, White House Bakery - a traditional wood fired bakery - still operates. The oven is 130 years old and one of the few remaining in Tasmania. 170 King Street, Westbury.


St Andrews Anglican Church



Directly opposite the Village Green and dominating the landscape is St Andrews Anglican church which was built between 1836 and 1890 - the foundation stone was laid in 1836, the nave was opened in 1842, the church was consecrated in 1851, the tower was added in 1859 and the chancel was completed in 1890. The church is noted for its fine carvings particularly 'The seven sisters' chancel screen. They were all completed by Mrs Ellen Nora Payne who was born and grew up in the village. Next door to the church is an attractive two storey brick house which was built in the 1840s and became the residence for Westbury Council clerks.


Dr. Woods Surgery





This house was marked on an 1832 map as 'Surgeon'. In April 1832 The Garrison was a detachment of the 4th Foot Regiment later the Royal Lancashire Regiment, the King's Own. Westbury was also garrisoned in 1832 by the 63rd Regiment of Foot, later the 1st Battalion of the Manchester Regiment, this is the regiment in which Captain Lonsdale served after whom this road is named. Dr Woods Surgery, 3 Lonsdale Promenade, Westbury.


Holy Trinity Catholic Church



This large cruciform bluestone church in the Decorated Gothic style was begun in 1869 and the building consecrated in 1874. It was designed by Henry Hunter, Tasmania's most prolific Victorian architect. The tower was added early this century. The marble high altar and reredos were designed by Alexander North. The organ was built by Melbourne organbuilder William Anderson (1832-1921) and first played in February 1881.


Fitzpatrick's Inn



Located at the southern end of town, Fitzpatricks Inn was opened in 1833 as the Commercial Hotel. It was the first hotel in Westbury. The name for the inn stems from a time when the three Fitzpatrick's sisters owned and operated the property during much of the 20th century. The three sisters each made a unique contribution to the business and it is rumoured that Myra's friendly spirit can still be felt on occasions within the premises. It remained in the family for a century and gained a reputation as a fine hotel. The building is recognised as a fine example of a Georgian Inn although it is worth noting that the classical portico at the front was added in the early 1900s. The hotel still operates, its facilities include Fitzpatrick's Bat, a restaurant and guest accommodation. 56 Meander Valley, Westbury, Tasmania.


Pearn's Steam World




Pearn's Steam World houses a collection of over 200 major items. It would have to be the best in the Southern hemisphere, each piece having been collected since the 1950s. Its vintage tractors represent the world-class collection of Hedley Shaw who sold and serviced Ferguson tractors, and who acquired the old farm tractors each time he made a sale. There are over 100 vintage tractors in his collection, all in working order, as well as a multitude of far equipment and vintage commercial vehicles.


Westbury Maze




Westbury Maze, one of Australia's longest established mazes, is a traditional hedge maze. It draws upon a centuries-old tradition that still proves as popular as ever with adults and children of all ages. Three thousand neatly-clipped bushes at a height of two metres make up the maze, which has a network of pathways more than a kilometre long. Entering the maze is easy  finding the way through to the other side is more of a challenge. Described as a living sculpture,  the view from the central platform will delight as it reveals the formal, perfectly manicured structure of the maze. Refreshments and light meals are available at the Tea Room.